clutch problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
need help I keep burning up clutches I have a 6.5 briggs wih a 1" shaft 14t. 60t sprocket on the axle. tires are 17" tall what do I need to do to keep from burning up clutches my grandson is getting pretty upset with me. I just don't know what to do. any help would be appreciated :mad2:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
need help I keep burning up clutches I have a 6.5 briggs wih a 1" shaft 14t. 60t sprocket on the axle. tires are 17" tall what do I need to do to keep from burning up clutches my grandson is getting pretty upset with me. I just don't know what to do. any help would be appreciated :mad2:

As I suspected...(and I'm sure a LOT of folks did...) your gear ratio is FUBAR.

Now...from another post...(and before you get asked) ...I know you have a #40 chain...

Soooo...even with a 1" shaft...I would think you could find a clutch with less teeth.

A TC might be nearly as cheap as a new clutch...(and much better) ...but there are a lot of options.)

Question #1: What is the outer diameter of that #40 sprocket?

Nevermind...I just saw this is WAY less than your rear tire diameter.

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
can I build a jackshaft for it if so what would you recommend for sprocket by the way it is a 60tooth drive sprocket with # 40 chain

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

is it possible to get a bigger sprocket for the axle I haven't found one on gopowersports I guess nobody makes one

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Short answer: as big as possible. We're going to need a LOT more info though, : Total weight..vehicle type, useage, total weight...amount of ground clearance: (ie: a live axle gokart with a sprocket in the middle needs a smaller sprocket than a dead axle or minibike.)....

Like I said on the other thread: it all has to be considered.

Edit: Definitely bigger axle sprockets out there.....

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
very sorry didn't mean to get on your nerves I will lo out now

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

very sorry didn't mean to get on your nerves I will log out now

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Nonsense. Don't ever feel you must log off. Poboy is just a character and has many irons in th' fire.

By the way...

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay short..

you now have a 4.3:1 gear ratio .. and that's not going to work obviously..

we ALWAYS recommend 6:1 for wheels 15" in diameter or less

just take the worst case (15" wheels) for our recommendation and that leads us to:
(6 / 15 * 17 = 6.8) a 6.8:1 recommendation for your 17" tyres.

Since you have a 60T axle sprocket already which is likely still in good condition;
and let's just further assume you can stick to the 14T clutch (since you know where to buy it ;))
the jackshaft now has to have a ratio of 1.6 ..
which means a 16T jackshaft input sprocket and a 10T js output sprocket will get you there.

A ratio of 1.6 on the other hand also means that a TC (with a low ratio of ~2.7) can also make that kart more reliable.
So instead of adding a jackshaft and buying a new clutch, you can also buy a Torque Converter ( sereies 30 with TAV2 replacement 1" shaft on ebay costs about 75 bucks)
it'll come with a 10 T sprocket for #40 chain

So in the end you'll end up with a 6:1 geared TC equipped kart...

THAT will work just perfectly!
to get going it has a 16.2:1 ratio on it's low end (way lower than needed.. which gives excellent acceleration)
and on top speed it could overdrive to 5.4 which means the calculated top speed is about that of your current configuration (only difference: it'll work ;))

'sid

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.