Clutch Help!

Rat

Reaction score
Spark plugs good…
You checked gap, but did you ground the plug to the head and give the cord a yank with the plug out to verify spark?

Weak spark out of head often doesn't spark when in it.

Having a big fat white or purple spark is a good sign, but still doesn't mean much more than your coil is sending a really good signal.

dkang7676

Reaction score
Got her up and running! Cleaned the two brass nozzles in the carb. Removed carb, removed float, unscrewed the jet, pushed down the other nozzle, brake cleaner, she fired right up! RLS, thanks for helping me! You are a good man!

Attachments

• 6E5185B6-177B-41A9-8D4D-1012156ABFD3.jpeg
    6E5185B6-177B-41A9-8D4D-1012156ABFD3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Rat

Reaction score
Got her up and running! Cleaned the two brass nozzles in the carb. Removed carb, removed float, unscrewed the jet, pushed down the other nozzle, brake cleaner, she fired right up! RLS, thanks for helping me! You are a good man!
Never would have expected plugged jets in the carb of a new engine, good catch that's all you

dkang7676

Reaction score
So, another fix I need to take on is it will not idle with the choke off. I watched a video and it said to check the jet on top of the carb. We’ll see! I was told to unscrew that black knob, and lift the plastic black pilot jet up and out and run a wire drill bit throught it.

Attachments

• DB7C1869-563C-4E2B-85CD-8AF02C4C9E05.jpeg
    DB7C1869-563C-4E2B-85CD-8AF02C4C9E05.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
So, another fix I need to take on is it will not idle with the choke off. I watched a video and it said to check the jet on top of the carb. We’ll see! I was told to unscrew that black knob, and lift the plastic black jet up and out and run a wire drill bit throught it.
The part circled is the idle adjustment stop screw, and it is turn Way too far out.

Odds are your throttle is able to close 100% which no engine that has ever existed will idle that way.

Turn it in 100% and get the engine started (it's going to scream) and slowly turn it out until it sounds like the engine is about stall... then turn it back in a half turn

I can also see in Your pic that the throttle is hung open so you should really take a look at your throttle linkages and make sure you have full travel and no snags

Rat

Reaction score
I was told to unscrew that black knob, and lift the plastic black jet up and out and run a wire drill bit throught it.
Or you fix the obvious things before you go screwing with things like that. It's pretty obvious you have a linkage or cable issue going on because at rest the throttle top should be at rest against the idle set screw no matter how far in or out it is including if fully removed (it should be able to flip against the part the set screw protrudes from)

If it does not there's a problem somewhere in your controls

dkang7676

Reaction score
The part circled is the idle adjustment stop screw, and it is turn Way too far out.

Odds are your throttle is able to close 100% which no engine that has ever existed will idle that way.

Turn it in 100% and get the engine started (it's going to scream) and slowly turn it out until it sounds like the engine is about stall... then turn it back in a half turn

I can also see in Your pic that the throttle is hung open so you should really take a look at your throttle linkages and make sure you have full travel and no snags
Copy that, I’ll try that next!

dkang7676

Reaction score
Or you fix the obvious things before you go screwing with things like that. It's pretty obvious you have a linkage or cable issue going on because at rest the throttle top should be at rest against the idle set screw no matter how far in or out it is including if fully removed (it should be able to flip against the part the set screw protrudes from)

If it does not there's a problem somewhere in your controls
✅

This gives me a plan, thank you!

dkang7676

Reaction score
✅

This gives me a plan, thank you!
“Odds are your throttle is able to close 100% which no engine that has ever existed will idle that way.”

Now that you mention it, i was watching the butterfly when my son was stepping on the accelerator, I do recall it closing all the way.

Rat

Reaction score
Now that you mention it, i was watching the butterfly when my son was stepping on the accelerator, I do recall it closing all the way.

Even motorcycle carbs with slides stay open at idle anywhere between 3 and 5mm... the amount of open throttle at idle is relative mostly to carb size, and that is relative to actual displacement generally speaking.

Last edited:

dkang7676

Reaction score
Yes I’ll check, when he was off the pedal it seemed like it was closed all the way, but I’ll have to take a critical look at it. You’re right, my linkage is probably not squared away. What are your thoughts on the throttle return spring and governor rod, should I replace those too? They seem a lil rusty.
Even motorcycle carbs with slides stay open at idle anywhere between 3 and 5mm... the amount of open throttle at idle is relative mostly to carb size, and that is relative to actual displacement generally speaking.

Rat

Reaction score
Yes I’ll check, when he was off the pedal it seemed like it was closed all the way, but I’ll have to take a critical look at it. You’re right, my linkage is probably not squared away. What are your thoughts on the throttle return spring and governor rod, should I replace those too? They seem a lil rusty.
I wouldn't worry about some surface discoloration, just get things squared away so it runs right first

dkang7676

Reaction score
Problem: will not maintain idle

Any ideas? I cleaned all the jets, fuel is new. It idles when its in choke, then if I go to half choke its does decent, if i take the choke off it dies. Thanks everyone!

dkang7676

Reaction score
Anybody see any issues?

Attachments

• E7A710B4-4AF1-44CF-B552-83AEBD6FBC3E.jpeg
    E7A710B4-4AF1-44CF-B552-83AEBD6FBC3E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 4B4AAC8A-319E-401F-9AF6-96881950ECDF.jpeg
    4B4AAC8A-319E-401F-9AF6-96881950ECDF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

Rat

Reaction score
Problem: will not maintain idle

Any ideas? I cleaned all the jets, fuel is new. It idles when its in choke, then if I go to half choke its does decent, if i take the choke off it dies. Thanks everyone!
Typically this is the one dead tell that says the pilot is jetted too lean.
The pilot on those carbs is the press in plug wedged under the idle stop.