Clutch didn’t engage in steep hill

Jsupstarz

Reaction score
I had an issue going uphill. I got stuck and when it hit the gas hard engine revs up but clutch does engage on the hill so tire , chain , and belt on torque converter don’t spin at all. Tires are bald so you would at least think they would spin on wet ground. I really got on the gas, 212 engine so plenty of power , Is this normal ?

Jsupstarz

Reaction score
It’s a belt style centrifugal clutch and it’s brand new that day , worked great just not when getting stuck on the hill

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Or smoked the clutch. They are no good at all on hills, they will burn up.
You need to keep all your questions on this cart on one thread. No need to start a new thread for each question. This way we have reference material. And it’s in the rules.

Last edited:

JimD

Reaction score
You want to have or close as possible to a 1:6 gear ratio. The sprocket going to the axle, lets say it is a 10 tooth #41 chain sprocket so the sprocket on the axle should have 60 teeth. For every tooth on the small sprocket there should be 6 teeth on the rear sprocket. If you rear tire is HUGE like 18 inches in diameter than you have to have more teeth on the axle sprocket. You asking the torque converter to do more than she was designed for when you put large tires on the rear, especially when you only have a 6" driven.