20190617_194921.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190617_194818.jpg
    20190617_194818.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 11

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
There's a tool called a screw extractor for broken bolts/screws that is designed just for the purpose.

Bet there's a bazillion videos on YT detailing the procedure.

KamKarts

Reaction score
It broke off during use

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Tried removing it with screw extractor with no luck so far

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

long story short.........So we got out kart up and running but we noticed that the clutch bolt that came with the TC did not fit...... we get a 5/16 24 fine thread in two lenghts and installed the shorter one 1st... noticed it was coming loose so installed the longer 1 with a few flat washers and a lock washer......... got about 2 hours ride time and bolt snapped off while riding

LightningTeg

Reaction score
I went and got a Grade 8 bolt to replace the Grade 5 or whatever junk comes with the chinese parts for this reason.

You could try left handed drill bits. Start with small bit for a pilot hole then step up to whatever is appropriate for 5/16-24 tap so you can chase the threads afterwards. Just make sure you use a a good center punch to get it as close to center as possible. You make get lucky and the bolt will start to back its way out as you are drilling. That is a good feeling lol.

Beyond that you may have to take the crank to a machine shop.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Thats a long bolt to be using for the TC...
Why??

Id say take it to a machine shop... bring a case of beer to help sweeten the deal(IM assuming your legal drinking age)...
Machinist hate these darn bolts..... but they might have a spark eroder to dig it out....

KamKarts

Reaction score
I did not want to lose it if it can loose while riding...... so i figured if i use a longer bolt i would see it coming out before the drive clutch flew off..... bolt broke and it happened anyways

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Use a nut, hold on end of crank, carefully weld nut to end of broken bolt. Works 75% of the time all the time.

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
One thing you got going for you is the bolt looks fairly new and not rust frozen in, so it should come out fairly easy using one of the many methods mentioned.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
The community has some fine info here. I like the washer idea a lot (Flyinhillbilly) which has you welding from the inside...
:idea2:

Texan is right; you could have a worse scenario if that bolt was old and rusted on. The only thing I would do before (or after) using these methods would be to tilt the kart up and flood the bolt and threads with penetrating fluid/WD-40/PB Blaster, etc just to make it as easy as possible.

KamKarts

Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone for your ideas and info..... you guys are awesome...... this forum is Awesome

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Btw..... had 2 drill and retap

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Now use BLUE Locktite on the threads of the new bolt so it does not come out while riding but will come out for servicing.

Denny

Status
Not open for further replies.