Clutch bad I think ???

Jsupstarz

Reaction score
9144ABEE-44A9-4BD8-A05C-F3E5C231AA83.jpeg
Just bought this I’m new to go carts. I have a problem. The cart drives very well and has no issues while you are pressing the gas. The problem is when you start to coast to a stop. When I let off the gas and it is slowing down all of a sudden I hear a extremely loud rattle and grind and if I don’t hit the brakes hard and stop quick the engine will just shut off and die. But if during this noise I tap on the gas just a little bit it goes away and only comes back when I coast to almost to stop without hitting the break quickly. I’m assuming this is a clutch problem. But this one isn’t set up like all the other ones I see and videos with simple torque converter‘s put on there or clutches. What kind of clutch or torque converter do I buy that has the weird axle coming off of the rear torque converter wheel To connect to a chain that’s a mile away? The ones I see the chain goes right between the torque converter and the engine.9144ABEE-44A9-4BD8-A05C-F3E5C231AA83.jpeg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
To convert to anything else besides going to a centrifugal clutch with a chain will be impossible without a lot of welding and fabrication. But yes that is a belt style centrifugal clutch. It is probably worn out it sounds like.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Has to be the clutch trying to come apart. If you remove the rear pulley from the jackshaft you should be able to easily replace it with a sprocket. Then you can get a new clutch w/sprocket.

Jsupstarz

Reaction score
To convert to anything else besides going to a centrifugal clutch with a chain will be impossible without a lot of welding and fabrication. But yes that is a belt style centrifugal clutch. It is probably worn out it sounds like.
Yes belt style clutch found it thank u!!!

Functional Artist

Reaction score
No, you shouldn't need to remove anything to lubricate the clutch bushing

You just need a couple of drops of oil
...inserted in between the inner (spinning) part of the clutch & the outer (non-spinning) part (at idle) if that makes sense

Basically start the engine & you'll be able to see what part is spinning (the part connected to the engine shaft)
...& what isn't (the part with the belt)

Then, just drop a couple of drops, of oil, in between
...& wipe off the excess

* It may even help if ya tipped the kart "up" on an angle for this procedure ;)

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
grease pushes out of clutch bearings unless its loose i suggest used engine oil or bar and chain oil every hour or two of run time you dont have to remove it

Functional Artist

Reaction score
No, you shouldn't need to remove anything to lubricate the clutch bushing

You just need a couple of drops of oil
...inserted in between the inner (spinning) part of the clutch & the outer (non-spinning) part (at idle) if that makes sense

Basically start the engine & you'll be able to see what part is spinning (the part connected to the engine shaft)
...& what isn't (the part with the belt)
Um...I should have said ta shut off engine (that was just a test, for ya ta see what was spinning & what wasn't)
...before attempting ta lubricate the clutch bushing
Then, just drop a couple of drops, of oil, in between

...& wipe off the excess

* It may even help if ya tipped the kart "up" on an angle for this procedure ;)
I guess I should have been clearer (WTF was I thinkin') :unsure:
...so, please DO NOT try ta lubricate your clutch bushing with the engine running :worried2: