clone smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen115

Reaction score
yesterday my buddies and I were getting ready to go for a ride. I started my clone 5.5hp and it won't go anywhere, the gas works but the carb won't give it enough gas to go. then it starts smoking out the carb and where the head gasket is. turned it off and sat out this round. pulled it all apart today except the crank. there was some oil in the head so I figure the rings are going out? also noticed that there are no bearings where the rod meets the crank, is this normal for a stock clone?

I've already ordered a new carb

thanks
SJ

B man

Tecumseh FTW!
Reaction score
id just put some new rings and a complete new gasket set. then fill her with some fresh oil. after that it ought to run right.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Any chance you overfilled the oil at some point? Stored it on an angle, maybe with the spark plug facing down? What happened the previous time you ran it?

Stephen115

Reaction score
it ran great the last couple of times I ran it. A week ago there was no fuel going through the carb, opened it up and the bowl was rusting, cleaned the carb and it ran great.

Idk how many hours, maybe 30.

I pulled the motor completely apart and the rod is all chewed up and the oil passages to the rod was clogged. and the rod has a burning smell to it. tested the rings and there pretty far off the AGK specs so I'll be ordering new ones.

I ordered a billet rod from a user off 4 cycle for less than half the price of a new one and I might as well go with a flat top now and get it all done with.

I don't usually over fill the engine but I do have to pick the kart up to get it through the fence so I think thats how the oil got in the head. which reminds me, I believe that the smoke coming through the carb was the rod on the crank..

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Yeesh! I don't know how long you've had the engine or if you got it new, but this sounds like an advertisement for scheduled maintenance...

Stephen115

Reaction score
Yeesh! I don't know how long you've had the engine or if you got it new, but this sounds like an advertisement for scheduled maintenance...

I got it new about 2 years ago, I change the oil often. How often do you have to replace the rings?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Not a maintenance item. Rings should last hundreds of hours. This might sound dumb, but how often did you change the oil, did you use the correct type, correct amount, and change it while warm? I cannot think of another reason for the clogged oil galleries.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Well- I have heard that some clones ship with really cheapspit oil in them. And since QC standards can outright suck, it's always a very good idea to change the oil almost immediately. There have been many cases (in my own experience, too) of trash in the crankcase from the factory, a product of the engine not being properly cleaned before shipping.

OzFab

Reaction score
Rings should last hundreds of hours.

... with moderated use. Let me explain...

Some years ago (20+), my parents had two houses, the one we lived in & a holiday house a few hours away. At one point, the lawn mower at home was getting a bit old so Dad went out & bought two identical 2 stroke mowers.

The one at home saw regular use as the lawns were cut every week or two. As they only went there every few months, the one at the holiday home would be run flat out for a day & a half (it was a 3/4 acre block) & then not used again until the next visit.

After about three years, the mower at the holiday house developed problems; hard to start, rought idle, etc. The mechanic who fixed it said "if I didn't know better I'd say this engine was thirty years old". It pretty much needed a full rebuild. Meanwhile, the one at home, which has never seen a mechanic, still starts first pull to this day.

The moral of the story: with regular use, engine internals will last for years but, if it's left for a time & then has the life flogged out of it imtermittently, they will tend to wear out a lot quicker

Stephen115

Reaction score
Not a maintenance item. Rings should last hundreds of hours. This might sound dumb, but how often did you change the oil, did you use the correct type, correct amount, and change it while warm? I cannot think of another reason for the clogged oil galleries.

I changed it when I thought it looked "dirty". I have been using 5w-30 oil, just what ever I could find really. can't recall changing it while warm.

the oil galleries where clogged with what ever the rod is made out of, for the sake of it will call it metal. the rod has a lot of wear and tear on it and smelled burned up. so I believe the crank rod wasn't getting oil cause it got clogged cause its a cheap part and burned up and I caught it before it destroyed the crank

Stephen115

Reaction score
... with moderated use. Let me explain...

Some years ago (20+), my parents had two houses, the one we lived in & a holiday house a few hours away. At one point, the lawn mower at home was getting a bit old so Dad went out & bought two identical 2 stroke mowers.

The one at home saw regular use as the lawns were cut every week or two. As they only went there every few months, the one at the holiday home would be run flat out for a day & a half (it was a 3/4 acre block) & then not used again until the next visit.

After about three years, the mower at the holiday house developed problems; hard to start, rought idle, etc. The mechanic who fixed it said "if I didn't know better I'd say this engine was thirty years old". It pretty much needed a full rebuild. Meanwhile, the one at home, which has never seen a mechanic, still starts first pull to this day.

The moral of the story: with regular use, engine internals will last for years but, if it's left for a time & then has the life flogged out of it imtermittently, they will tend to wear out a lot quicker
you've nailed it on the head man. I ran it for a couple of months new and then didn't touch it for a year until I got in to karting and I run it pretty good when I ride. I've always known that I needed to upgrade the internals just really didn't believe it till now.

Status
Not open for further replies.