Clone engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApocGoD

Deus Ex Machina
Reaction score
Now I may be a superidiot for asking this, but what is the preference of clone engines over originals? What're the pros/cons of clones to originals?

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
apparently clones last longer. something to do with bearings or summn. almost as good quality, if not as good for 1/2 the price

anderkart

Reaction score
Here's a quote from another kart forum. I get the feeling this dude knows what he's talking about:

Nrracing said:
Actually, most of GX Honda engines and parts are made in Thailand. A few motors (gearbox) are still made in Japan, but even those are being moved to Thailand. They do make the GC series in China, but that is a different (and cheaper) motor. There are very few GX parts made in China, but those that come from china, are NOT made in same factories as the clones. They are made to Honda specs and are quite different than the clone parts.

Also, the clone issue is not a lawsuit based on Honda patents. Honda does not have a patent on the GX motors. There are a few small patents they hold on various parts, but for the most part Honda copied (and improved) on other designs. What Honda claims (and won in court), is a copy write/marketing issue where the Chinese have made their engines appear to be Hondas. The claim being, they mislead the consumer in believing they are getting real Hondas. This is why Manufacturers are making the visual changes to the outside of the motors and why the clones are not Red & White or Black.

As far as the clone motors holding up well in utility applications (including concession karts), our industrial customers would disagree with that statement. Many of our customers have bought clones to find out they only lasted a few months when running 16 hours a day. In fact some have lasted only a day or two. The clones are fine for consumer/residential such as pressure washers, lawn mowers, etc that are used once a week, etc. In those applications they can be expected to last a few years. But for hardcore use, they will not replace a Honda.

Without a doubt, the Clones are helping kart racing by keeping the cost down and bringing in new people. The concept of motors $200 or less appeals to a lot of people and has done more to grow the sport than anything else in the last 20 years.

However, the Clone tend to have a few problems. Feedback from customers says that the Clones have a failure rate considerably higher than the Hondas. It is a bit early to determine, but long-term durability seems a lot less than the Hondas. Both ASN and QMA (1/4 midgets) have been running Hondas for over 10 years. In both cases, motors can easily go 4 or 5 seasons at over 5000 rpm without anything but oil and valve springs. In quarter midgets, failures are almost non-existent. Even when they do (which is very rare) fail, it is almost always something simple like a bad coil or broken sparkplug boot.

Right now, we see some type of problem with 1 out of every 20 clones we sell. Most of the time we catch these problems right out of the box. Even so the quality and assembly is terrible. We find missing bolts, two head gaskets, specs that can vary by .005” or more, porous (i.e. holes) in the ports, and occasionally motors that just will not run. More important we have had several that had balance problems and excessive vibrations. The yellow ones are a little better than the blue, but not by much.

On the other hand, we have sold thousands of Hondas over that last 10 years with only 1 motor that had any type of problems out of the box. When there are variations in specs, it is year-to-year and not motor-to-motor.

The saying goes “You get what you pay for”

www.nr-racing.com

Compnerd88

Mr. Build-Sum-Sh!t
Reaction score
I have also heard that due to the constant revisions and fixes that the clone motors are becoming closer and closer to Honda quality

Ive seen people work the hell out of these clones at 8500+ RPMs and have no problems

Ive had ZERO problems from my clones

-Logan

NJOHC

Reaction score
Yea, people beat the hell out of them....after they've replaced practically everything that could easily go wrong. At that point there probably isnt much of anything stock on the motor anyway. Im definately not saying theyre horrible motors though. My friend has one on her Dingo, and we put over 1000 Miles down this year through snow, dust, heat and rain while revving it at 4500rpm. It still runs great. On the other hand, we put one on a log splitter and something broke within a week. I guess it all depends on what you get. My friend's is the kind on the hammerhead karts with an alternator and electric start. Its a nice little engine.

Dusty Wolfe

Reaction score
i have a clone and i have to say that initially it wasnt the most precision built engine. the valve pockets were horrible the valve lash was so far off it wouldnt run and the starter made death noises. but once i took it apart and re-spec'd the whole thing and pocket ported it i haven't had a single problem i didnt cause. i havent had it above maybe 5000 yet but so far so good. but i do have to say the tolerances are definetly tighter with the honda engines and the assembly is much better too

Status
Not open for further replies.