Chikuni throttle cable mod

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
I am installing a Mikuni clone (a Chikuni) on my Predator 212 and am about to hack my throttle cable. What's the best way to keep from cutting my existing cable (that I paid $ for) so short ?

Is there a way to use a short piece of cable inside the carb and put some kind of adjuster block or coupling at the top of the cable guide from the carb to connect to the foot pedal cable ?

My cable has a flat spot (from stock set screw and linkage) right in the area where the cable would be sliding through the bent tube at the top of the new carb if I snug it up to the end of my existing cable.

20210803_171528.jpg
Also, my throttle cable is kind of heavier gauge than what I remember seeing on a Mikuni back in my Mini Trail 50 days.

Photos or parts list of how you did your conversion would be appreciated.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Ended up ordering a clearance item from Amazon. Cost 8 bucks with one day sipping !

It was an 83" cable with the big pieces of lead on each end. One end had the 1/4 turn metal tube on it, so I think it may be a minibike part.

I took half of the bend away, then wrapped the cable end around the bolt on the throttle pedal (secured with wire). On the other end of the cable, I had to grind down the lead casting to a shape that would fit in the slide.

No pics on the operation because it happened so fast.

It's all mounted up and working now. Still need to remove the unsightly old throttle and choke bracket.

I set the idle and made a couple of laps and it's bogging or cutting out on the top end.

Attachments

• 20210805_152340.jpg
    20210805_152340.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210805_152333.jpg
    20210805_152333.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
What item number/listing? Did you reset the carb? Everything I have seen they need a major rejet
Hi @Bansil , Sorry I dropped out for a while to ride. It was a bit lean in the midrange, so I raised the needle as much as I could and the cold start and off idle was great. It was lean on the top end and would only go about 3800 RPM before studdering...

so I rather than re-jet, I rode it a few more times and finally found a nice vm22 with jets and other goodies(!)
20211105_212626.jpg

This kit is awesome. Has everything I needed except the elbow for the throttle cable like the previous one had.

20211105_221501.jpg

My throttle cable is too short to make the bend, so I'm looking for something around the shop that will do for the 80-ish degree elbow. That part is pressed in the other carb and the hats are different sizes, so not interchangeable.

It started on the first pull, but needs some adjusting and that elbow part to try it out.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
I found these leftovers from a previous project. Will mix and match til I get it back together.... hopefully Saturday afternoon.

20211105_224108.jpg

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Test and tune time. I rode a bit last week and think it may be lean at the top so I wanted to try a bigger jet setting. Unfortumately, the jets that were included with the carb do not fit (!). I left some feedback for the seller on Amazon and asked them to send me the right jets.
20211113_192428.jpg20211113_192518.jpg
Meanwhile, I raised the needle to get a bit more fuel with the parts I have. Also replaced a stretched out chain, put on a new belt and tightened a few chassis bolts.

Will change the oil next, and I'm ready for the fall riding season.