Cheap Yard Cart Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
Now that I’m living in a house with large yards (which is my responsibility to maintain), I found I had a need for a wheelbarrow or cart of some description but, as my funds are currently extremely limited, I want to achieve this spending as little money as possible…

The first few pics below show where I started, a make-shift tub fashioned from a sheet of colorbond fence resting on a cheap trolley (aka dolly); the only reason for the make-shift tub was, at the time, I couldn’t lay my hands on anything more suitable but, it didn’t take me long to find a used steel 44 gal drum, which was then integrated to the trolley… but, this still wasn’t good enough because there were times when I needed the trolley…

6 weeks ago, while I was packing everything at my mums, as I was seeing some of the things that were just lying around, I started brainstorming & seeing uses for certain things, which was, kind of, essential as my brother had told me he “wouldn’t be happy about paying to move broken lawn mowers & ‘other useless junk’” so, I had to choose carefully between what was packed & what was scrapped…

Once I had everything home I started planning & building; first, obviously, I had to make an axle, draw bar & hitch; I used a small length of square tube, two bolts & two opposed U brackets to create the hitch; that was the easy part, now it’s getting technical; I have to create a frame to hold the half drum, a support frame attached to the axle/draw bar assembly, then connect the two so that it tipped the drum without having to disconnect the hitch…

Therein lies the issue; to keep the CoG as low as possible, at rest, the drum will sit on the draw bar which sits ~ 6” off the ground (due to the 12” pocket bike wheels I’m using) but will overhang the axle by ~ around 13”…

I think I have it figured out, lets see what happens when I put the theory into practice…

N.B. At this point, I’m into it for $8; $5 for the drum & $3 for the axle bolts & nuts…

Attachments

• IMAG1342.jpg
    IMAG1342.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG1341.jpg
    IMAG1341.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1340.jpg
    IMAG1340.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG1407.jpg
    IMAG1407.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG1412.jpg
    IMAG1412.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1411.jpg
    IMAG1411.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1410.jpg
    IMAG1410.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG1408.jpg
    IMAG1408.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG1409.jpg
    IMAG1409.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 5

OzFab

Reaction score
I know, right; most of the materials used are either leftovers from other projects or freebies that have been sitting around for a couple of years...

With a little luck, it should be finished today (as in, construction complete apart from full welding &, maybe, a coat of primer/paint)...

OzFab

Reaction score
Well, luck shined on me & I finished the cart to an operational point...

The first three pics below are the three main pieces:
1. the barrel with support frame attached
2. the chassis/main frame
3. the pieces that join 1 & 2 together to form what you see in pics 4 & 5...

Attachments

• IMAG1428.jpg
    IMAG1428.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1427.jpg
    IMAG1427.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1421.jpg
    IMAG1421.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1420.jpg
    IMAG1420.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1419.jpg
    IMAG1419.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 2

OzFab

Reaction score
When I find out, I'll let you know :lolgoku:

It wasn't really that quick, I started almost two weeks ago...

Total cost of the project was just over $15 for bolts, nuts & the drum, of which I only used half, I bought no materials for the frames or joiners; of course, that amount doesn't include consumables...

Here's a few more pics just because...

Attachments

• IMAG1424.jpg
    IMAG1424.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1425.jpg
    IMAG1425.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1429.jpg
    IMAG1429.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG1430.jpg
    IMAG1430.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 6

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
You should put a Gaint Spring on that so it dumps faster.
Or even Launches smaller Items. LOL

Nice work as usual

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
That's not as dumb as it sounds; thanks Eric...

I was only Kidding ("being dumb") about launching stuff. LOL
But yeah a little spring to help dump... For sure.

I have a little trailer for my lawn tractor, it has a dump feature, but it pivots on the Axle.
and The axle is centered on the bed. No Spring, but due to the Fulcrum it dumps easy.
Although yours is probably easier to reverse, having the axle further back.

Attachments

• dump.jpg
    dump.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 67

OzFab

Reaction score
It would also have a much higher CoG; I could've built mine the same way but, with the drum being longer, it would also have been higher...

I tried the spring idea but, not enough tension; need to play around with it to find a good tension...

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I guess the Problem with a Spring is tension.
If you have a light load too much tension the Barrel could pop up fast and hit you in the Face.
While with a heavy load the spring may turn out to be useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.