Cheap quick refurb

Thelegg

Reaction score
Hi, picked this kart up at a local auction. My plan is to give it a quick once over and get it back running :)
Screenshot_20220617_224031_com.android.chrome.jpg

First job was to fit inner tubes to all the tyres as they won't hold air. This ended up taking almost all day as I couldn't get the tyres off due to them being old n stiff :( also had to redrill the holes for the valves as the old holes where in the wrong place for the inner tubes. Apart from that didn't do much else apart from removing the broken seat belt
IMG_20220614_135338.jpg
IMG_20220614_205124.jpg
More updates soon

Thelegg

Reaction score
Spent a few more hours on it this evening. Fitted a new carb as the one on it is completely knackered.
IMG_20220622_214441.jpg
Chucked some fuel in it and it eventually started up after a few pulls but was a short lived victory as soon became very clear that the fuel tank is cracked/perished all over so I've had to order a new one before I can give it a proper test/ride
IMG_20220622_214502.jpg

Thelegg

Reaction score
Been working on my other karts whilst I waited for a new tank to arrive but finally fitted the new tank :)
Couldn't find one the same as the original for sensible money so bought one off a mower for £5 and it came with fixing brackets so bargain!
Forgot to take a picture of it fitted but it bolts nicely onto the bar that supports the back bit of the seat. Now it feels abit like I'm going backwards as the engine now won't start again properly and eventually I snapped the pull cord... Not a simple fix as the cover is all riveted together so managed to drill them out allowing me to spin the engine over via a drill on the crank :) still wouldn't run any sense tho would keep stopping and wouldn't rev but can't alter the jets in the carb as there all fixed :( decided to give up on the engine and see if I had enough spare parts to build another engine for it which I actually did lol so now I have a junk built GX140 waiting to be fitted
IMG_20220725_162846.jpg

Thelegg

Reaction score
Sounds like the new carb may be plugged from junk in the old gas tank. Pull the float bowl and clean out the jets with carb cleaner and a blow gun.
Yeah I had the carb back off and cleaned it before I decided to swap the engines, still looked like new and didn't make any difference :/ I am starting to think this is why the kart was chucked in an auction lol kinda happy to put the Honda engine on it tho as I prefer them and have more experience working on them

Thelegg

Reaction score
So had a few hours spare the other day and got the new engine on and everything else connected up :) took its for a quick spin lol certainly isn't going to win races haha but will be just fine for my neices and nephews to ride around on and eventually my daughter :) it's out of the work shop now living back with my other karts so soon I should be starting work on my shifter kart again.
Few pics of the engine and fuel tank if anyone's interested lol
IMG_20220808_223725.jpg
IMG_20220808_223735.jpg

Thelegg

Reaction score
Thought I'd keep this project log up to date. so this kart has been running brilliantly since the last update but it gets stuck alot due to being one wheel drive so when a complete axle came up for sale locally I went and bought it quick :) bloke even chucked in a sprocket and brake caliper for free and 2 other axles so all in all a great deal!

i also managed to get a bargain on some new tyres/rims so I've now got everything I need to begin swapping this kart over to a live axle setup
IMG_20230516_220941.jpg
IMG_20230516_220915.jpg
IMG_20230516_125234.jpg

Thelegg

Reaction score
Had an hour spare this evening after working on my other karts so engine is now removed and wheels off, also chucked the axle on just to see what it'll fit like :)
IMG_20230530_172234.jpg
IMG_20230530_224305.jpg

Thelegg

Reaction score
Had a few minutes spare after working on my classic mini the other evening so thought I'd try the engine in the kart... It's a tight fit lol just clears the frame and the seat. Had to remove the top bars from the roll gage but there only bolted in so easy to put back :)
IMG_20230608_215858.jpg
Plan moving forward is to make a new engine plate so the engine will sit in the middle of the kart instead of over 1 side like before. Got a torque converter in my spares that will also being fitted so may need to raise the new engine plate up to make room for everything