cheap drive wheel

Baketown Scotty

Reaction score
Just starting to build my first go kart (Itzy Bitzy). Is it possible to bolt a sprocket on to a cheap 10'' wheel from Harbor Freight? I assume it is a hub of some kind. How would I know how long the hub should be? Thanks in advance.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Hello and welcome...

Please post some info on what is it you are trying to build, and post a pic or link as to the wheels...
Alot of the HF wheels are not meant for this or any motorized application, typically they are crap to use..

Smerft85

Reaction score
See my signature! Everything about HF wheels is a terrible idea on a kart, the wheels crumble, bearings fall apart, hubs peel away from the wheel, tubes and tires last minutes. Those are meant for light to medium dolly use or similar.

There are a few sites with reasonably priced options, price of course depends on what you are looking for. Maybe even look over local ads for a parts kart with good wheels and tires, adding bearings in place of the bushings on a lawn tractor wheel is also a workable option, but avoid HF wheels on a kart if it has capabilities of over say 15 m.p.h. they aren't typically safe.

Baketown Scotty

Reaction score
I was trying to go cheap on my first go kart and use Harbor Freight wheels, ,https://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-tire-30900.html. And was hoping it was possible to bolt on a hub and attach a sprocket for a single drive dead axle. Are these wheels not safe for a small go kart like this?

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Did not see your reply before I responded Smerft85. Thank you. Thanks also mckutzy.

Smerft85

Reaction score
They are not really safe for any kart, I've got a stack of them that I've removed, most are in terrible condition at the time of removing. Relying on those wheels puts your own safety, or the safety of the rider at risk, I wouldn't run them on anything motorized. I know at $3.99 each with the right coupon they are tempting, but I've always done my best to not get into a wreck on my karts, even with quality wheels I've failed twice and rolled them hard, but it wasn't with the added risk of light duty wheels. Ultimately the choice is yours, but I have no income and I'd still make every effort for stronger wheels.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Oh we get it.. Hence the DIY in the name....
But ya..one of the few dont-cheap-out-on things we typically stress on about here...

ol'joe

Reaction score
I am not so very big on safety, 'cause I am old and go slow, but don't bother with those HF wheels anyhow. The tires are so thin that absolutely ANYTHING will puncture them. Nothing more frustrating than going 3 laps and having 4 flats. A tiny burr we call a "goat head" will flatten one first time you run over it. We automatically take those thin tires off of anything we buy that has them and replace with either good wheels or solid ones in the case of dollies.

My current build will have wheels and hubs off of a Geo Metro automobile. Now, THERE are some cheap wheels with tires that will hold up! Not for everybody, but use your imagination. Like me and most other folks, you prob'ly have more imagination than you do money, and it has more value, anyhow!....best of luck.....Joe