chain tightness what is proper

Status
Not open for further replies.

paramehdic

Reaction score
curious how much slack or tightness i should have in my chains. using clutch and jackshaft so i have two chains to work with and having issues getting them to the same point.

just curious how loose is too loose and how tight is too tight?

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
....too loose-it falls off easily... too tight-anything less than 1/2" play(if it's too tight you risk damaging clutch). IMO, anything between that is nominal. Frames bend fractions of an inch from weight or torque plus chains stretch, which can cause 'slack'... so for 'best' results...have someone close to your weight sit on kart as it has its weight on the ground, NOT lifted... 'then' adjust to about 1/2"-3/4" play/slack. Ive seen some ppl use a chain tensioner(sp?)... but i think they only had 1 chain to deal w/.

paramehdic

Reaction score
....too loose-it falls off easily... too tight-anything less than 1/2" play(if it's too tight you risk damaging clutch). IMO, anything between that is nominal. Frames bend fractions of an inch from weight or torque plus chains stretch, which can cause 'slack'... so for 'best' results...have someone close to your weight sit on kart as it has its weight on the ground, NOT lifted... 'then' adjust to about 1/2"-3/4" play/slack. Ive seen some ppl use a chain tensioner(sp?)... but i think they only had 1 chain to deal w/.

how do i measure the play/slack. is this when i lift the chain with my finger i want it to move no more then 1/2-3/4"?

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
after secured(depending on distance between gears) chain should be taunt enough to pull/push a total of no more than 3/4"...so, pull chain up....then down... the 'total' distance...anymore than that n your risking chain slippage.

This is just how "I" do it. I feel the 'looser' the chain the less chance of binding/damaging the clutch. Ive seen em so tight you could tight rope walk across em... then ive seen em so loose, as driven the chain would actually 'wrap' somewhat, 'around' the clutch sprocket from the torque...

I'm guessing it's all in 'how' you drive and the terrain. Karts dont seem to have a 'precise' form of "way it's SUPPOSE to be...", w/ the exceptions of the laws of gravity/physics/inertia... n probably acouple other 'laws' Ive attempted to break(amongst other ppl).

....(this is just my opinion of the chain subject)....

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
I say 1/2" max.... I try to keep it at 1/4"- 3/8" but will let it go till its at 1/2". Any more than that, IMO, you're risking chain coming off rear drive tire on a 1Wpeel in a hard turn. Live axle dont have to worry about sprocket deflection , but i still say 1/4-3/8"......

OzFab

Reaction score
With a jackshaft setup (dual chains) release the engine, set the jackshaft to axle tension, then set the engine to jackshaft tension. With the engine locked in place you may be tensioning the engine chain while the axle chain is still loose...

Status
Not open for further replies.