Chain sizes GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
im a bit confused with the chain sizes myself...
but as far as i can tell, #40 is just a wider version of standard [pedal, not motor] bicycle chain?

also, im looking into making a small go kart (only 2hp)
so would you recommend a #35 or #40 chain? (this is only gonna top out at about 25mph with the engine@3600rpm, im keeping the gov.)
how about for a larger (8hp)?

thanks for your help :)

tbillion

Reaction score
Chain Tinsel

Just thought i would throw in my own 2 sense on the comment about bicycle chain not being strong enough to be driven by an engine,

The torque exerted on a front Chain crank of a bicycle is one average 148-200ft/lbs or 190 to 280 nm (for all you metric out there) your average 5hp lawn mower motor with a horizontal shaft puts out 5-20 ft/lbs(6.5 to 27nm) , period. (http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engine_power/engine_series.aspx)

on the serious I am working on coming up with a whole new class of shifter cart, 948cc 4 cylinder, 4cycle, gas engine 40 ft/lbs torque 60hp,Synchronous port fuel injection, electronic ignition, Supercharged, with a 27 speed bicycle index and crank set as its transmission, as far as i have seen on the net there is nothing like it,:devil2: :bannana: :auto:

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Just thought i would throw in my own 2 sense on the comment about bicycle chain not being strong enough to be driven by an engine,

The torque exerted on a front Chain crank of a bicycle is one average 148-200ft/lbs or 190 to 280 nm (for all you metric out there) your average 5hp lawn mower motor with a horizontal shaft puts out 5-20 ft/lbs(6.5 to 27nm) , period. (http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engine_power/engine_series.aspx)

on the serious I am working on coming up with a whole new class of shifter cart, 948cc 4 cylinder, 4cycle, gas engine 40 ft/lbs torque 60hp,Synchronous port fuel injection, electronic ignition, Supercharged, with a 27 speed bicycle index and crank set as its transmission, as far as i have seen on the net there is nothing like it,:devil2: :bannana: :auto:

not only will your bicycle crank set will not hold up, but the misalignment while shifting at high speeds will just throw the chain off.

Where are you getting a 948cc 4 cyl supercharged engine with only 60hp? More importantly, how are you planning on fitting that into a kart, with bicycle gears?

Dont mean to bash all your ideas, but i seriously doubt the bike gears will work.

tbillion

Reaction score
ok to answer the bigger of the 2 questions the engine was given to me the supercharger is based on one of my other applications.

The engine (only) has 60hp before supercharging, i am stilling the middle of rebuilding and it is from a 1953 Morris Minor Truck, the engine is 948cc, My friend gave it to me because he was going to recycle it, The pistons in it when i opened it up where severely chipped so i ditched um all for a set of Motorcycle pistons from a 150 - 250cc bike, (63mm pistons)

the intake and outlets on this engine (5, 3 exhaust and 2 intake) all measure out to be 1" so i am going to take a CCOT (cycling clutch orifice tube) A/C pump with a one inch outlet and plug it into the intake, I did this with a 2 cycle briggs and well i put out over 20hp from a hp stock engine, intake pressures where well over 30 psi and my PCM i built was seriously always holding the blow off valve open.

Back to bicycle gears. How do you suppose that it will derail the chain?if i use it how you would normally use it and then just hook it to a clutch instead of my leg it will work, the principles of a bicycle still apply but instead a motor powers it, as for connecting the gears to a clutch i am playing with 3 options and they all pivot around the type of clutch i decide to use in the end.

i may use an idle shaft, which has a #41 chain gear on it and on the engine and then mount the bicycle index to the shaft running endurance pro bike chain on it, or just direct riveting it to the clutch, or just jamming it directly to the crank, and making it direct drive.

:cheers2:

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I would use something beefier than a #41 chain, I would run a 420, 428, or even 520. I would not use a bicycle index, i know for a fact it will not hold up, my brother (strong guy) has broken bike sprockets just pedaling. I'm wondering where you pulling the numbers saying the average person puts 140-200 ft/lbs of force on those chains? Its not like you put your whole weight into each stroke. It sounds like you really want to try this, and i dont want to burst your bubble, but if it was me i would rebuild the engine and sell it to someone rebuilding one of those antique trucks it came out of, then buy a nice sled or motorcycle engine.

Anyways...

GOOD LUCK and take pics of what you do.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
The torque exerted on a front Chain crank of a bicycle is one average 148-200ft/lbs
Seriously? I have torqued nuts past 150 lbs/ft and I really can't say I remember reefing on my MTB's chainwheel that hard! I mean, If your numbers are from a legit source, so be it, that's amazing! But it sure seems off!

newrider3

Reaction score
Let's think about this for a minute. You're gonna be basically stomping on the pedals if you're climbing a hill or something like that. Take your weight (I'm wagering most guys here weigh at least 150 or more) sitting on the end of a 175mm long lever, you've got a lot of force there. Not saying his numbers are necessarily correct, but it can't be that far off.

A bicycle gear and derailleur set is a really fragile thing just by it's nature. Definitely not something you want to hook up to an engine that will spin it several times higher than it was ever designed to. Almost all but the most expensive of derailleur sets blow hard when they're on a bike; no way they will be any better on a 100 hp engine. There's a good reason so many mountain bikers switch to singlespeed, or why BMX bikes all run singlespeed.

porsche930dude

Reaction score
yea thats a really dumb idea. It might work if you make a completly custom setup resembling a bicycle derailer but your gonna have to use a beefy motorcycle chain. the chain might hold up for a few seconds but the sprockets will be toast as soon as you hit the gas
As for the hunters question #35 will be fine for the 2hp up to 8hp or more if you use racing chain. But if your just using cheapo chain use 41 or 40 for over 8hp especially if your running a torque converter

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Okay, I did the math. In my case, I was likely topping out at 80-85 lbs/ft while biking. That's my entire body weight coming down on one 7" crank arm. That's still a fair distance off 150-200 lbs/ft. I remember an incident some years back when my cycling buddy (about 220lbs) grenaded his chain trying to power up a hill one day. His numbers work out close to 150lbs/ft. This does indicate the potential for some accuracy in these numbers, but I'm still skeptical. For starters, powering this chain from an engine would likely involve a much smaller drive sprocket that a bicycle's chainring. I would think that this would tend to concentrate the torque on a much smaller area of the chain. Maybe wrong, but a thought. Second thought- As fast as I've gone on a bicycle, my legs certainly did not hit 3600rpm, and I was most definately NOT applying my full 85lbs/ft torque while doing it!
But you know what? Build it, and prove me wrong! I would love to see something like that work for the amount of times I've heard those ideas shot down!
Cheers-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.