Chain problems

GoKart800

Reaction score
Hey guys
Ive been back at working on my kart, and ive been having issues with the chain. i'll get the chain to the right tension, and then to test it i'll push it up an down the driveway a few times. after doing this, the chain now is super loose and fell off at one point. its brand new essentially, and the motor is not moving, nor is the axle. any thoughts as to what is causing this?

-GK800

panchothedog

Reaction score
All chains stretch a little when new. The cheap ones more so than the quality ones. But even a cheap one would need more than pushing it up and down the driveway. More like 15-30 minutes under power. You have something moving on you that you just haven't caught yet.

FlyFrog

Reaction score
chain tensioner? do you have one installed? is it tightened down? are the sprockets round, if they are not completely round it could have tension in some spots but not the other and be causing it to fall off at that point

Snaker

Reaction score
Seems to be an epidemic on here of folks mismatching the chain/sprockets.
Verify that chain and both sprockets are matching sizes.
I used to have a chart that ran through the various spec ratings but can't find it.

GoKart800

Reaction score
I know for sure everything is the right size, there is no chain tensioner due to it being a vintage race kart, and it has been run but not for too long, maybe 20 minutes total up on a jackstand to tune the carb. it is a cheap amazon chain so that might have something to do with it. i'll look into it more when i get home.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Even the cheapest chain will stay on under proper tensioning long enough to push it a bit. Pancho and Snaker have already mentioned the basics that should be checked first, matching chain/sprockets and find anything that's moving.
Chain for Go Kart, Mini Bike | GoKarts USA®
Chain & Cable Lube – Liquid Wrench
up an down the driveway a few times. after doing this, the chain now is super loose and fell off
That's a lot of movement, from good tension to so loose it fell off. Make some reference marks in multiple directions with a sharp Sharpie marker on fixed and adjustable stuff (frame/engine base) by marking a single line across both parts. Then look for the marks to get out of line by lateral movement or by twisting. Also mark the bearings/axle, the axle sprocket/axle, etc, all over the kart.