Centrifugal Clutch chain Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

K..R..H

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Ok so i have a go-kart but it wont work. I put a 13hp motor on it with a 14 spoke centrifugal clutch with a approximate 45 spoke back end. When i start going the clutch tightens up and starts burning(turning bright red). I tried a bunch of different things but i was wondering if i need to gear it down or if i should put a bigger gear in the back. I have combine pick-up tires on it(like the larger ones) and a large frame. I already replaced 2 clutches and i don't have enough cash to buy another one. If you could help me out i would be so thankful.
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
sounds like you are gearing it too high. what top speed do you plan on?
whats the diameter of your rear tyres?
What terrain is it used on?
if offroad i would say 45mph tops, if road, 60 tops, IMO.
check out this, if you are reading above my estimates for top speed then consider buying a bigger axle sprocket. btw, the 13hp spins at 3600rpm tops.
Rob
P.S. FYI its a tooth not a spoke :)
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
You most definitely are geared too high. For the record, the "spokes" are teeth.

Tell us the actual diameter of your rear tires, and we'll help you figure out an appropriate reduction ratio. Also, 50MPH with a stock engine and centrifugal clutch is dreaming...
 

Bluethunder3320

New member
Messages
5,677
Reaction score
39
You most definitely are geared too high. For the record, the "spokes" are teeth.

Tell us the actual diameter of your rear tires, and we'll help you figure out an appropriate reduction ratio. Also, 50MPH with a stock engine and centrifugal clutch is dreaming...

With a 13 hp on a light kart 50mph ia iffy, but might do.

Large kart like you said, large wheels, huge ratio, equals burnt clutch.

Ive never seen a clutch turn red, thats crazy!
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
I only said 60 because "I have heard" (lol sorry Russ) that someone on this forum got a relitavely stock 6.5 clone going 50mph, so I thought 60 with 13hp is possible on the flat.
Rob
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
Lol yeah true. I also figured my kart does 30 tops and probably 25 with a cent clutch and a 6.5hp and that was ok offroad, so I doubled it.
Rob
 

Garified

I like to move it move it
Messages
211
Reaction score
1
Location
SC
Strange, I run a 3.7:1 ratio, and I have no clutch problems at all.

Your kart is probably just too heavy/tires too big.


Bigger/heavier the kart, the lower of a ratio you need to go. I would recommend a 6:1 ratio if you're burning a clutch with a 3.2:1.

My kart roughly has 13-14 inch tires on the back, and I've driven the hell out of it. Clutch is still in great working order.
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
yeah i know ;) it has double the OOMPH though, so thereoetically double the speed or double the torque, no?
i suppose the torque curve makes a difference too though.
Ima shut up now :)
Rob
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
yeah i know ;) it has double the OOMPH though, so thereoetically double the speed or double the torque, no?
i suppose the torque curve makes a difference too though.
Ima shut up now :)
Rob

Speed is determined by RPMs out. So no extra speed.
 

K..R..H

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Clutch Driven Go Kart

Ok so here is another one of my problems which is pretty well the same as my other post. Ok so i have a 13hp motor with a 14 tooth gear in the back. The front is a 14 tooth centrifugal clutch and i have a tightner on it so the chain stays tight. I also have burnt two clutches using this thing and for some reason when i start going it turns bright red and so does the chain. My back tires are 15 1/5 inches high. My chain is a 40 chain. So post on what i need to do.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
Regear, big time. If I understand your description correctly, you are geared insanely high.
Forgive the seemingly stupid question, but am I to understand that both your clutch and axle sprocket are 14-tooth?

Edit- I just found your other thread- Why did you start a new one to re-ask the same question?:mad2:

EDIT2- Merged threads. Problem solved.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top