Centrifugal Clutch 2 gears??

Ross24

Reaction score
Why do centrifugal clutches have two gears instead of one? There's the one that you put the chain on, and then there's another one near the drum itself. What's that about?? Attached below is a reference image.

Attachments

• 61wqdnYr8-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61wqdnYr8-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 12

Rat

Reaction score
Why do centrifugal clutches have two gears instead of one? There's the one that you put the chain on, and then there's another one near the drum itself. What's that about?? Attached below is a reference image.
Its not actually 2 gears. It's basically a spline interface with the cover so there's no slippage or shearing a keyway there's no room for.
The spline does allow some part swaping since some a preset for #35 chain, and others are for #40 chain, some are 9t, some are 10t, and I've even seen a few 11t and 12t.

There's a ring clip on the inside to hold the gear in the cover, just as there is outside to hold the cover to hub and flyweights. Ring clips is all that holds them things together, and off the race track they are trash.

JimD

Reaction score
Dual gear 12 tooth #35 chain sprocket used on a jackshaft arrangement that has high and low engagement. Would be a Max-Torque SS12/1234. The one in your picture in a china single gear sprocket, can tell by the snap ring.

Rat

Reaction score
The one in your picture in a china single gear sprocket, can tell by the snap ring.
That's not accurate at all. I pulled a few MaxTorque SS's off, and they have all a 2 snap ring assembly, one outside to hold the the cover on the hub and flyweights, one inside the cover to hold the gear in its splined seat.
The image may very well be a cheap China knockoff unit, but using snap rinds doesn't automatically make it Not a MaxTorque

JimD

Reaction score
Hate to tell you, our outside snap ring on a Max-Torque does NOT have the ears on it to snag things. The Max-Torque uses the Rotor Clip "SHI". EVERYTHING in and on the clutch is American made. The other tell tale sign is the drum has 6 holes and the dust cover on the inside has 6 holes, the china knock offs has 8 holes on the inside dust cover so when you look at the knocks off you cannot line the outside holes with the inside holes so then you know you have the copy.

Rat

Reaction score
Hate to tell you, our outside snap ring on a Max-Torque does NOT have the ears on it to snag things. The Max-Torque uses the Rotor Clip "SHI". EVERYTHING in and on the clutch is American made. The other tell tale sign is the drum has 6 holes and the dust cover on the inside has 6 holes, the china knock offs has 8 holes on the inside dust cover so when you look at the knocks off you cannot line the outside holes with the inside holes so then you know you have the copy.
Semantics dude, a ring clip is a f★ckin ring clip regardless. Sorry I didn't specify the exact and precise clip type. The ones I chucked in the scrap were all genuine, IDGAF because ALL centrifugal clutches are garbage off the race track, and I'm not about that upity BS

Rat

Reaction score
RLS, Jim is the owner, designer, chief cook of Max-Torque. He should know how his clutches are made. He did engineer them after all.
I suspected as much, doesn't change my opinion on the hilliard style centrifugal clutches, doesn't change the fact he basically said they weren't held together ring clips when they are... just because it's a different style.

Like yeah sure there's clips designed for inside like fork sanctions, and outside like the holding the ramps on a TC... STILL RING CLIPS REGARDLESS and for all intents and purposes is a pointlessly irrelevant debate.

F★ckin semantics ☠️