Cart info/upgrade help

Cartnoob

Reaction score
I was curious if any guru's could tell me more about this cart I purchased. All the guy could tell me was it was 150cc Kandi that has a "Honda clone" motor. I was also wondering if there are any cheap amd easy upgrades available to give it a little more kick. Keep in mind I am a newbie to the cart world.

Attachments

• IMG_20220808_112600.jpg
    IMG_20220808_112600.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220808_112605.jpg
    IMG_20220808_112605.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220808_112611.jpg
    IMG_20220808_112611.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14

Karttekk

Reaction score
That doesn't look like a Honda Clone, it looks like the original GY6 is still installed. Look for a serial number plate or sticker somewhere that shows the model # of the buggy to verify what it shipped with. A Honda Clone won't have that CDI box on the top left of the engine for one thing and the muffler is definitely not a Honda Clone muffler.

Karttekk

Reaction score

Cartnoob

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Any easy upgrades to boost performance such as exhaust? I have never worked on this stuff so keep it simple for now.

Karttekk

Reaction score
The least expensive and easiest upgrade would be to change the rollers in the variator. As engine speed increases the rollers roll outward squeezing the sheaves together. The opposite action takes place with the driven clutch, the sheaves open up allowing the belt to drop down and increase speed. Switching from lighter to heavier rollers or vice versa changes when the variator sheaves squeeze the belt therefore changing acceleration. Changing the axle sprocket will help too but for now this should help. Keep the tire pressures relatively high too to lessen drag on them.

Karttekk

Reaction score

Pokitren

Reaction score
The least expensive and easiest upgrade would be to change the rollers in the variator. As engine speed increases the rollers roll outward squeezing the sheaves together. The opposite action takes place with the driven clutch, the sheaves open up allowing the belt to drop down and increase speed. Switching from lighter to heavier rollers or vice versa changes when the variator sheaves squeeze the belt therefore changing acceleration. Changing the axle sprocket will help too but for now this should help. Keep the tire pressures relatively high too to lessen drag on them..

One can hardly live without entertainment all the time. I'll read about cars, I'll discuss, but it bores me, too. Sometimes I want to play something, too. I choose games on this website - there's quite a big variety, and you can always choose something new. Boredom disappears!
Do I understand correctly that even such an old unit can be made faster without much trouble?

UPD: I guess I was wrong after all, I watched a video about it.

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
They have been modernized through the years, but yes they can be hopped up. The only trouble is this can be very expensive. More so than a industrial type engine. A 6hp Honda, Briggs, Predator and others.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine, EPA (harborfreight.com) ...............Easy and inexpensive to hotrod up.
13 HP (420cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine, EPA (harborfreight.com) ................Already has big power out of the box.
Neither one has a built-in torque converter like the setup on a GY6 Chinese engine, they're just engines. A torque converter, also known as a CVT (Constant Variable Transmission) is highly recommended ..................
Predator 6.5 HP 212CC 30 Series 3/4" Go Kart Torque Converter Clutch Kit #40 10T | eBay
40 Series Torque Converter Kit Clutch Pulley 1" Driver 5/8" Driven 8 to16HP Belt | eBay

Karttekk

Reaction score
Neither one has a built-in torque converter like the setup on a GY6 Chinese engine, they're just engines. A torque converter, also known as a CVT (Constant Variable Transmission) is highly recommended ..................

Are you suggesting he replace the GY6 with one of the engines mentioned? I agree with what you say but swapping one out is a nightmare in my opinion and not worth the trouble. Stock GY6 engines aren't the quickest, the upgrades can make a noticeable difference.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Stock GY6 engines aren't the quickest, the upgrades can make a noticeable difference.
Confession: Never worked on a GY6, just always been uncomfortable with an engine setup that prevented me from deciding my own drivetrain. If wiling to start from a setup with an engine, chosen clutch-driver, belt drive, and chosen driven, go for the upgrading as Karttekk recommends.
My preference for ripping everything out that other folks decided for me, and building back to suit my tastes, is a lot of work. However, that's the part of karting I like the best. Kart builder, not kart racer.

Karttekk

Reaction score
These members are asking what upgrades would give their machines a little more zip since they are on the sluggish side. Re-doing what shipped on a go kart with similar but higher performance options is a lot of work, removing a complete engine/drivetrain on a buggy and replacing it with what ships on a go kart (if that's what you're suggesting) is to me a huge undertaking usually not worth the time and effort. I see a lot of postings where people have tried swapping out their GY6 engines with kart engines then end up selling them as "projects" once they realize they're over their heads.

Pokitren

Reaction score
These members are asking what upgrades would give their machines a little more zip since they are on the sluggish side. Re-doing what shipped on a go kart with similar but higher performance options is a lot of work, removing a complete engine/drivetrain on a buggy and replacing it with what ships on a go kart (if that's what you're suggesting) is to me a huge undertaking usually not worth the time and effort. I see a lot of postings where people have tried swapping out their GY6 engines with kart engines then end up selling them as "projects" once they realize they're over their heads.
That sounds a little funny. So why did they work so hard on the reconstruction?
If you ask me, I should probably give the job to a good mechanic if I can't do it myself.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
I also get the impression that a common upgrade for say, a 150CC GY6 type engine, is a 200CC GY6 type engine. Not saying that is the best solution, it just seems to be something people do. And when I say people, I am not including myself, because I am sub-human.

Karttekk

Reaction score
I also get the impression that a common upgrade for say, a 150CC GY6 type engine, is a 200CC GY6 type engine. Not saying that is the best solution, it just seems to be something people do. And when I say people, I am not including myself, because I am sub-human.
Many of the 200CC buggy engines are water cooled. This would require a radiator, cooling lines, possible fans, more cost and labor. Squeezing as much as you can out of the stock GY6 to me is the most economical and least labor intensive option.