Carl Heald Super Tryke information?

JTDesigns

Reaction score
Hey ya,
Ok so I have an old 77 Carl Heald super tryke and am having problems finding some good info on it.
Anyone around here know anything about them?
I just made an order for new brake bands, and everything to rebuild the 40 comet, but would like to put new brake cables (it has an open diff in the axle like an old streaker cart, so a left and right brake) and a new throttle cable and tube.
I'd also like to rebuild the front "forks" shocks.
Im not exactly sure it's a 77 model but engine looks original and numbers came back as 77 so?
It has a gear box for reverse that needs to be flushed out and new gear oil added. Some kind of slop came out the vent which I feel was water & oil contamination.
I'm kinda wanting to keep the old big block Briggs on, but also have a Honda GX270 I think would fit. I really like the look of the Briggs tho..

I have a seat off a can am Maverick sxs that'll go on it.

Anybody replaced a throttle tube on one?

How about the forks? I'm guessing it's just a spring inside 🤷🏼‍♂️

Think I'd be ok with regular ol 90w oil in the gear box?20211011_181337.jpgreceived_588318069259726.jpeg20210829_195945.jpg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Carl Heald anything is pretty rare. The Honda or a tiny Predator will be too small. For maximum value rebuild the Briggs and find the correct seat and repaint it red. I have no idea where to get parts. Do not use gear lube in the transmission it is not compatible with the red metals (brass). You will have to use lube for a 4 speed car transmission that is compatible with brass. If you have to use another engine a Predator 420 will probably be the cheapest, closest power match.

Last edited:

JTDesigns

Reaction score

JTDesigns

Reaction score
Carl Heald anything is pretty rare. The Honda or a tiny Predator will be too small. For maximum value rebuild the Briggs and find the correct seat and repaint it red.
The original seat is a bench type . It just looks hideous to me I still have it, if I ever was to sell it all the original parts would go with it.

JTDesigns

Reaction score
Carl Heald anything is pretty rare. The Honda or a tiny Predator will be too small. For maximum value rebuild the Briggs and find the correct seat and repaint it red. I have no idea where to get parts. Do not use gear lube in the transmission it is not compatible with the red metals (brass). You will have to use lube for a 4 speed car transmission that is compatible with brass. If you have to use another engine a Predator 420 will probably be the cheapest, closest power match.
Have you ever pulled one of these gearboxes apart? I'd love to have a exploded view.
You think synchromesh would be a good oil?
I've seen things here and there that they used alot of off the shelf parts that are pretty common.
Also, I understand the price worthiness of back to original, but man, I'm not using that school bus seat. I'm not trying to fix it up to sale but to keep and ride with kids with their karts.
This was in it's original condition, the guy I got it from did everything like paint and removed the seat. But honestly I would have removed that seat too 🤭
received_172758265013673.jpeg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
No, I don’t, and I don’t know where you would get one either. I my self would use Red Line manual trans lube just for the extra insurance of nothing getting eaten up on accident. Those were way cool when I was a kid and the trucks were even cooler. The biggest problem with them is they cost so much. The trucks by the time you loaded it all up cost as much or more than a new Chevy or Furd, and you still did not have heat or a/c.

JTDesigns

Reaction score
Just thought I'd update on progress. Ended up swapping a 420 predator engine because I'm impatient and a total idiot.. I rebuild the carb on the original b&s 10hp, and went to tune it with it completely drained of oil, so yeah I'm an idiot ... Seized the synchro bal engine because like I said, I'm an idiot... ughh. But the 420 will let me pop wheelies.. I just wanted to stick with the original thumper..

Attachments

• 20211201_150846.jpg
    20211201_150846.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211201_150946.jpg
    20211201_150946.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6

JTDesigns

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah a rebuild will have to happen. I have too many projects and Facebook marketplace don't help,, it just adds to the list.. lol