Carburetor Fabrication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airious

Reaction score
I have been having a horrible time finding any decent priced carb for my kz400 engine, and am at a standstill until I do :/ My local scrap yard has one that they say "might work" but they want 250.00!!

With that being said, is it possible to take a carb off of something else and use it? If so what would I need to look for/make sure of?

*edit* OK, so I have found at least 1 answer; you can definitely use a carb from something else, but i still am not sure what I need to look for to get a good match up. I have only ever dealt with fuel injected vehicles before, so i apologize on my complete noob-ness on the subject.

What do you need from me to get some guidance on selecting the right carb? I am assuming dimensions, but what dimensions, and anything else?

Last edited:

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Check the venturi dimensions, that's a good starting point. If the donor engine is of a similar displacement, that's a good sign too. Lastly, you can check the mounting bolt pattern (if applicable, most just mount in rubber boots).

Airious

Reaction score
Thanks, toystory! But I no longer need to go this route; the more i looked into it i found that this probably is not the best idea for my first project, so i expanded my search, and am I glad I did! I found an entire parts bike on craigslist, a good two hour drive, but has everything i need, including a second engine, who knows, just in case :p for 150.00!!!

Cant wait to go pick it up on Monday and get this build started! Pics will be posted on Monday :)

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
If you need any help, i made a kz400 go kart a few years back. I had lots of trouble with the stock carbs, and ended up converting to a single 34mm mikuni carb, from a polaris snowmobile. It ran great, although i didnt quite dial it in perfectly, believe it or not i actually gained power from the conversion. The go kart went through last years flood in vt, so its gone, however i do still have the stock carbs up on my shelf if you end up needing them, or have any questions, let me know.

Airious

Reaction score
Thanks, you may very well end up with some PM's from me once I have the chassis modified to fit the bigger engine. Its great to know someone else has a similar setup to what I am doing... Please tell me that thing flew with the kz400 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.