Carb trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
I've got a hemi predator with jetted carb, and it seems the float needle isn't sealing. I haven't seen needle seats, but I have seen needles somewhere online. Now considering I have this problem, should I work on it and try to rejet the carb and see if I can make my cam work a little better, or should I step up to a bored carb? The engine has a billet flywheel and rod, and a black mamba jr cam.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
Ok your not a newb here. So...

If your float needle is not sealing, why would you try to make the cam work better? What does that mean anyways?

Why would you rejet the carb? That's not the issue.

Stepping up to a bored carb is still not fixing the problem.

Fix the dang float valve.

Last edited:

mckutzy

Reaction score
I don't think there is, the needle is spring loaded and self adjusts..
The seats and needle point needs to be clean for proper sealing..
Aparently the petcock bowl traps a bunch of stuff in it, but sometimes it flows over into the main bowl... Thus contaminating the main body again.

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
Ok your not a newb here. So...

If your float needle is not sealing, why would you try to make the cam work better? What does that mean anyways?

Why would you rejet the carb? That's not the issue.

Stepping up to a bored carb is still not fixing the problem.

Fix the dang float valve.

If I am pulling the carb to fix the float valve, why not reject and see if I can flow a little more fuel for my 6000 rpm cam, which I'm sure I'm not turning 6000 rpm at full throttle. OR, should I pick up a new bored carb which would flow more air and fuel, and wouldn't have a leak.

Now I did pull the carb and blow everything out with compressed air, and it doesn't leak anymore, but I need to have some choke to keep it running. Like, a lot of choke, so something I'm sure is clogged. Now a better question may be, will a stock carb flow enough fuel and air to turn 6000 rpm under load?

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
How do you know the float needle isn't seating?
That usually causes flooding, gas pouring out the overflow vents. And a rich running engine. You also say it won't run with out the choke on. That means you have a lean condition and the choke/enricher is adding more fuel.
Your contradicting your self.

There are tiny tiny holes in the throat of the carb. Are you sure those are clean too?

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I liked this knock off gx390 carb with my black mamba jr.
https://www.everestpartssupplies.co...stable-carburetor-with-free-gaskets-insulator

and this NR adapter...
http://www.nrracing.com/product-p/nr-cc390b.htm

"Designed to mount GX390 Type Carbs to GX200, 6.5s, and 212 Predators.

2 pc Design can be used on both flat and 15 degree mounts.

Typically requires a 108 Main Jet for std bore Gas GX390 carbs and 110 for Gas Bored Carbs. Methanol carbs will need a 150 to 160 Main or larger."

Adjustable just means you can adjust the idle circuit air/fuel mix.

Attachments

• gx390 carb.jpg
    gx390 carb.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 1
  • nr adapter.jpg
    nr adapter.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 1

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
I'm guessing you didn't read my last post,
so maybe you should before I get all smartass in here.
How do you know the float needle isn't seating?
gas leaks out from somewhere underneath the carb. When I take the bowl off and hold the float up, it continues to drip.
That usually causes flooding, gas pouring out the overflow vents. And a rich running engine.
No ****.
You also say it won't run with out the choke on. That means you have a lean condition and the choke/enricher is adding more fuel.
Your contradicting your self.
not if my Jets are clogged.

There are tiny tiny holes in the throat of the carb. Are you sure those are clean too?[/QUOTE]

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

I liked this knock off gx390 carb with my black mamba jr.
https://www.everestpartssupplies.co...stable-carburetor-with-free-gaskets-insulator

and this NR adapter...
http://www.nrracing.com/product-p/nr-cc390b.htm

"Designed to mount GX390 Type Carbs to GX200, 6.5s, and 212 Predators.

2 pc Design can be used on both flat and 15 degree mounts.

Typically requires a 108 Main Jet for std bore Gas GX390 carbs and 110 for Gas Bored Carbs. Methanol carbs will need a 150 to 160 Main or larger."

Adjustable just means you can adjust the idle circuit air/fuel mix.

That works well for you? I don't want to make the mistake of too much carb. Thanks for the links, I will look into it.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
Hey scout, just trying to help here.
If your jets are clogged you have a lean condition. Like I mentioned.

And you know the seats leaking. New needle? Does the old one have a wear ring? Rubber tip hard?

****, join the cult and just throw 99 dollars at it and be done.

I've had my fair share of finicky carbs too.

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
Yeah I know, sometimes its difficult to get things across when the people you are talking to are addressing other points and not really paying attention to what you are saying. yeah I'm thinking the jets are clogged and despite the fuel leak I still have to run a lot of choke.

Last year, which is the last time it ran, it got hard to start and I thought it was ignition. Just a few days ago I took the motor off the kart and clamped it to my bench to mess with the ignition, and thats when I found the gas leak. It also turns out I have spark, so I messed with it a bit and got it to run. In "messing with it", I bypassed the fuel pump since my fuel tank is above the carb. I'm guessing the pump wasn't working and that caused my hard starting.

When it was running, it ran well with the stock cam and jetted carb. Then I swapped in a new cam and springs, and shortened the clutch spring a bit to try to get it to engage at a higher rpm. That, I think, was a failure, but I don't know where my spare spring is to put it back. It runs good, but it doesn't seem like it winds out like it should. Hence, my wondering if I should spring for a bigger carb.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
That works well for you? I don't want to make the mistake of too much carb. Thanks for the links, I will look into it.

Well I used it on a minibike. It was doing 55mph just over 7000 rpm and pulled wheelies at launch. I had a weenie pipe exhaust, 32* BTDC ignition timing, 11.1 :1 Static Compression Ratio.... It depends on the gearing. More carb means more RPMs. But if your gearing isn't set up for those RPMs, whats the point.

But I agree with Kartfab... if going to replace the carb, might as well go with something good. I'm going to try Ebay knock off slide carb for my 420cc buggy but have no experience myself. I think Joe messed around with a Mikuni or knock off for a while.

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
I'm running stock piston/compression and a short little pipe. My drive ratio is 6:1. You're right thought, the intake and exhaust should match. And thinking about that domed piston someone linked to the other day makes me think I'll be spending a was of money here soon.

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
"Last year, which is the last time it ran, it got hard to start and I thought it was ignition. Just a few days ago I took the motor off the kart and clamped it to my bench to mess with the ignition, and that's when I found the gas leak. It also turns out I have spark..."

It sounds like bad fuel/gunked carb to me from what you're saying. If it has spark, it's a fuel flow problem. Tear down the carb & clean every passage, idle (fine wire once it's out) & main jets, needle valve & seat, carb cleaner inside until everything is open, running wet & looks new, blast with compressed air, then put it all back together. Check inside the the fuel tank for flaking, gum, varnish or rust, check the shut-off valve & flush everything you can before filling with new clean gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.