Carb problems on a Predator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosch

Reaction score
My one year old Predator 212 is beginning to frustrate me. For the fourth time in a month and a half, the carb is giving me trouble.

Description:
It will start and run fine one day, and for no reason the next day it will only keep running with the choke half on. It won't idle or run without half choke. I can remove the carb and spray cleaner through it, and this fixes the problem every time. But this is tedious and not a good long term solution. :mad:

What do I need to fix?

mckutzy

Reaction score
There is something that is jamming it up. Might have to do a complete break down and clean it out. Change the gas/oil maybe a spark plug. Eliminate the obvious first then work your way down.

ChromeRhino

Reaction score
You are either having a problem with getting sufficient fuel so you have to run it at half choke torichen it up OR you are getting too much air (air leak) and have to richen the mix by restricting air. I would check for air leaks as well as fuel debris and restrictions in the fuel delivery system. An air leak from a loose bolt can cause simular problems and is the eadiest to diagnose and fix so try to tighten the bolts on the mating surfaces whete air could sneak in. Start it up and see how it runs. If it seems to have fixed tge problem then get some loctite and apply sparingly to the bolts to the correct torque specs and enjoy. Tge vibrations will definitely giggle bolts loose ovee time and tge loctits helps to keep them in place.

You may also have a bad seal/gasket so check them if the bolt tightening doesn't work.

Also check the fuel filter.

Oh... another simple problem I have encountered is that the fuel shut off valve was closed or not open enough. Thats a slap your head moment! You might be doing the same thing.

I think its a simple fix and would suggest trying the simple things before tearing it apart. The hint to that is that sometimes it starts and runs perfect.
Let us know how it goes and if you get it run

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
Chromerhino has definitely steered you down the correct path, post back and let us know what you find!

I wouldn't surprise me to find that like Joel, the carb bolts have simply backed out.

Bosch

Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long to follow up. Weather wasn't kart-friendly, and we got busy doing other things. Indeed, one of the nuts that thread on to the carb was somewhat loose. I tightened everything, and it started on the first pull and ran fine last night. So once again, your input has proven very helpful. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.