Carb level

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Reaction score
Ok..now having issues with carb adapter. It fits and aligns with the briggs intake bolt spread and port..but where i bolt the carb to the other end of the intake its on a slight angle which tips the carb (mikuni) sideways to the left ever so slightly. My question is..will this effect the float level to any degree or is it nothing to worry about. part info: THE adapter is from a raptor engine i got from e-bay with a pulse fitting and a 24mm mikuni carb. The engine is a slightly modified 8 hp briggs flat head with header, shaved head, ported, new rings, governor taken out. Trying to get it togethor!

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
If it's only a slight angle it might be okay. Maybe a tweak to the float position will compensate for it, if it proves to be a bit of a problem. What's it made of? Can you cut, twist, and reweld?

oldskool

Reaction score
Toystory, yeah it leans slightly like a drunk or is it because i don't have my left shoe on. Anyways adjusting the float might work. I will try to get it running and see how it goes. About the re-welding, its aluminum, can it be re-welded?? You mentioned twisting it..could heating up the aluminum with a torch and trying to twist it work??? iam no metalurgist (Can't spell). anybody have experience twisting aluminum i don't want to try it and ruin it after i just paid 35$ for it this past week. If its possible its a good idea..Thanx

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Nah, don't try to heat twist it. I meant cut it, rotate the body, and reweld it. Aluminum can be welded, but if you're not so equipped, you're not. Neither am I for that matter. I suggest you just put it all together and test run. If the testing reveals an issue, try adjusting the float.
Another option- may sound silly, but do you have the means to make an adapter? Could be as simple as a flat piece of steel or aluminum with the appropriate hole in the middle for the intake, and two sets of mounting holes, that would allow you to re-orient the carb. Make another gasket to go in between, and away you go... Interestingly enough, my old 6hp Tec came from the factory with exactly that.

Status
Not open for further replies.