Carb hook up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Had to replace the engine on my kart and went to put on a new carb and can't remember where the vacuum lines hook up. Anybody know where I can get a diagram. You wouldn't think it would be that hard with only 3 lines!

While I got your attention also need to know how you know what size chain to get. Son in law can't remember what the original one was.

Thanks
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Had to replace the engine on my kart and went to put on a new carb and can't remember where the vacuum lines hook up. Anybody know where I can get a diagram. You wouldn't think it would be that hard with only 3 lines!

While I got your attention also need to know how you know what size chain to get. Son in law can't remember what the original one was.

Thanks

You have got to tell us what engine you are working with, as well as the carb. The best would be for you to post pics for us to see.

Have a look at these links regarding chain sizing

Chain standards (pitch, diameter, strength etc)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_chain#Chain_strength

The complete guide to chain and sprockets
http://chain-guide.com/applications/index.html
http://www.gizmology.net/sprockets.htm
 

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
carb hook up

Duh. Thought everybody was physic.
Will get some pics. Not sure what either are. The orginal was a 150 cc Howhit in a yerf-dog. Bought this one thinking it was the same. Not so much so.

Thanks for the response. will get those pics today here in few minutes.
 

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
The carb has KF stamped in the side. The old one and new one as the same. (KF) So I took pics of the old one. Can't see the new one very well mounted. The engine has nothing stamped on it. I thought it was a a Howhit 150CC like the orginial, but based on having to mod things to get it all back together I'm thinking its not.
 

Attachments

  • Carb.jpg
    Carb.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 20
  • carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 19

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
Okay- let's work on this, by elimination... You say there's 3 hoses to the carb, right? For starters, the hose on the very bottom is an overflow. That does not get connected to anything, just routed down and under the vehicle. You should then be left with a fuel line, and maybe a vacuum port. Can you take a couple clear pics of the bard on a bench with nothing else around it that will distract the eye? Then maybe we can figure out the rest.
 

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
pics

Thanks will post those pics tomorrow. I got the overflow. There are still three hookups on the carb.
 

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
As requsted more photos of the carp. I was wrong take out the vent and there are two more hookups. I assume one will go to the gas tank and the other to a vacuum line somewhere. Which is which and where is the vacuum line at. All the hookups on the engine are taken.

I have one picture and will get the other as soon as it makes it from my phone to my computer, which evidently the email is being routed around the world before it makes it back to KY.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 12

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
Close to the bottom right of the pic is a nipple, that I think is the fuel inlet, so that one gets connected to the tank. I'm still not sure of the other one. Could be a vacuum line, could even be a coolant line depending on engine design. The hose is pretty long. Try to see where on the engine or machine it will reach to.

Occasionally, I come across a vacuum-driven petcock on a bike. Have a look- can 2 lines connect to the tank or fuel shutoff valve?
 

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
On the other side (see Pic) is the other attachment of that long hose. It could go several places. It looks like it is attached to a vacuum pump in the carb. There is a connection nipple on the curved piece that comes off the engine that the carb connects to and one that is off the top of the cylinder head. There was only one fuel tank to carb hookup before.

You know pictures say a 1,000 words and not one of the 1,000 picutures that took were of the carb.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0159.jpg
    IMAG0159.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top