car starter fun-kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

572bigblock

Reaction score
I need some input, advice, and help on how to hook up a car starter to some kind of sprocket for use in a go-kart. I have a starter and have figured out how to wire it up to run in forward or reverse. I can figure out how to mount it to the kart. But I don't understand how to hook up a sprocket onto the output shaft so that I can run a chain or belt to the axle. Do I have to put a flywheel on the kart and hook a sprocket to that? Do I need to machine something?

I've read through all of the threads in the Electric Projects section relating to powering a kart with a car starter. The only thing that I have found that may help me is the link to the site that shows you how to build your own electric bar stool, and that just confuses me. Can anyone give me some ideas, or help on how to rig this up. Or if any of you have built one of these electric cars, please post some pictures of it. Thanks!

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
See, that's probably the hardest part of modifying the starter for kart use; how to make it turn other things. I haven't done it myself. I was primarily interested in modifying the starter to make it work like a regular motor and then I figured others would benefit with a how-to. The one way bearing should be removable and you may be able to replace the whole thing with a sprocket of some sort. You know, I'll take a look at that starter in the pic and see about removing the gear on it.

The easiest way to hook up the starter to other things would be to have a gear with the same pitch that would go to a jackshaft or something where you could attach a sprocket.

Seems like lately a lot of people are taking interest in modifying starters! Post your results when you have something!:thumbsup:

572bigblock

Reaction score
I may take a picture of mine tommorrow and post it on here. It is similar to your Nissan starter but is still quite a bit different. For example the brushes are riveted to the outside of the casing as opposed to being attached to the end by screws. I'll also take a look at mine and see if i can replace that gear with a sprocket. If I come up with anything I will post my results along with pictures. Btw, I am using a starter from an '88 chevy S-10 2.8L V6. I also have a "mystery starter" that I would guess came from a 70s Ford V-8, but it doesnt seem to work, well.

Last edited:

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Seems to me like the black circle is where you gotta make the connection for the second part of the field coil. I can't really tell though. Are the blue ones connected to the casing?

Attachments

• 101_0447.jpg
    101_0447.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 22

572bigblock

Reaction score
Seems to me like the black circle is where you gotta make the connection for the second part of the field coil. I can't really tell though. Are the blue ones connected to the casing?

The copper wires go from the brushes to a metal tab which is rivited to the casing.

The yellow wire in my picture goes from one brush to the brush on the opposite side. And is soldered to a tab in the middle that goes down to the magnets. What you circled in black is that tab. What I circled in blue is where I think I need to connect to make my second part of the field coil. Those little tabs come off of the magnets also. I'm not sure though, I dont have much experience with electricals or electric motors. I may just have to play around with it, trying different connections and see what works.

The best thing I could come up with for attaching a sprocket onto the motor was to find another gear that will mesh to the one already on there, and connect that to a sprocket, like a jackshaft. Thats also what you recommended doing [Kibble]. Does anyone have any ideas of a gear that will mesh to the one on the end of the motor? Or where I could find a gear like this? I'm not sure if I could make something, but if worse came to worse, I could try.

Thanks

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
You could have a custom sprocket machined to press onto the gear. Or just take the gear off, file the shaft to a D and use a regular sprocket on it.

572bigblock

Reaction score
This might be a silly question....but what kind of sprockets do you guys use, and where do you get them?

jr dragster T

Reaction score
This might be a silly question....but what kind of sprockets do you guys use, and where do you get them?

No. no probelem man. I get all my sprockets from a local bearing and supplies shop. There is a link on this site for robot parts that I think Russ found somewhere that sells lots of sprockets.

572bigblock

Reaction score
will a sprocket and chain from a bicycle work? Or will they not be able to handle the torque of the starter motor.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
A bike chain would probably snap. A #41 chain and sprocket set would probably do well. The one hurdle I see in the project is the fact that the PTO end of that starter is supported outside the casing, which would make it kinda hard to A: Run the new sprocket/chain AND B: Support the PTO end of the motor shaft.
It's almost like you'd need to mount the main part of the motor on whatever you're using it on, and then making a pillow-block bearing support for the outer end of the PTO shaft. Not impossible, but a challenge, none the less.

572bigblock

Reaction score
Youre right, I wouldnt be able to take the end of the housing off because the shaft needs to spin inside the bushing on the end. Otherwise it would flop around and fall out. Unless I cut part of the housing out around it and add more metal to widen it enough where a sprocket and chain could fit.

My plan for this project was not to spend a dime, and I dont want to buy a sprocket and chain if I can help it. And I dont want to have a special gear machined. Hmmm....

572bigblock

Reaction score
what kind of gear ratio would be good to use with an electric motor? I've read on here that a 12 tooth sprocket on the output shaft is good and a 60 tooth sprocket on the axle is good for 4 stroke gas engines, but what about an electric starter motor.
Thanks!

572bigblock

Reaction score
Ok. As you can tell I really have no clue about electric motors. I couldnt even give you a ballpark figure of what kind of RPM a motor like this would turn. :roflol: Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.