Can't loosen engine mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
I have a loose belt on my go kart and it won't even go up a small hill. I tried to loosen the mounting bolts but they are completely messed up so I can't loosen them. Anyone have an idea so I can get them off?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Grinder. Either cut 'em off entirely, or- grind a flat on each side of the head and grab with vise-grips. Another option- tack weld a nut onto the fried bolt head and turn with an appropriate wrench.

bnt5

Reaction score
some of the box stores sell a socket head specifically made to take off bolts that have been "mistreated" you might want to look that direction. Also if you can heat them up a little and use vise grips, you might be able to break them loose. Good Luck.

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
ive had to do this many times, you need a big but small headed flat head, an impact gun, wrench and helper, jack up the kart, then hold the wrench on the head of the bolt, push the screw driver under the engines mount and push down well having your helper use the impact gun to pull the nut off, after this, again do this, but now you can put this farther, do this and theyll come off, a pain in the ***, but it works

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Hm alright I'll go the dremel way cuz the impact gun sounds harder to do. Were can I buy a disk grinder? Closest thing is Lowes so they must have it.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Lowes will have angle grinders, accessories for them, and Dremel goodies, too. I can't believe you don't have these essentials yet!!! J/K. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
The hot wrech has been known to help, but it's not foolproof. Often, a fast quench with cold water makes the difference, but it does help if you can get a good grip on the fastener. Since they are through-bolted, just grind 'em if worse comes to worse.

fowler

Reaction score
u shouldnt
as long as u run the torch over the surface a couple of times to burn off the oils and what not

then again i was getting 1 in bolts outa the track frames of a D10 bull odzer so i had lots of room and working with a torch that was 2 foot long
lol

edit

id try the grinder first if u can get it in there as u dont want this amount of heat so close to your engine and bearings

at the end of that day i pull the pen outta my top pocket and noticed it had got so much heat it has bent about 5*

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
u shouldnt
as long as u run the torch over the surface a couple of times to burn off the oils and what not

then again i was getting 1 in bolts outa the track frames of a D10 bull odzer so i had lots of room and working with a torch that was 2 foot long
lol

I prefer not to die in a fireball ;p

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Cut whatever you can get at. Ultimately, you're going to have to replace the fasteners, so just kill 'em. Off is off. Just work slowly to avoid marring the engine or anything else you don't want to kill.

fowler

Reaction score
ya i wouldnt do it at close quaters or in a small garage

if it is though bolted then yes u can try the nut

really where ever is easyest to access and wont cause damage if u slip

what thickness are the bolts?

EDIT too slow dam

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
ya i wouldnt do it at close quaters or in a small garage

if it is though bolted then yes u can try the nut

really where ever is easyest to access and wont cause damage if u slip

what thickness are the bolts?

EDIT too slow dam

Haha good try. Alright I'll cut the nut on the bolts because that's easier if I jack it up high.

Also, the sparks will obviously be close to the engine, it won't cause it to go boom right?

Status
Not open for further replies.