Can you guys ID a briggs engine for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Messages
1,501
Reaction score
2
Location
Perth, Western Australia
A friend of mine has an old biggs engine he wants to put on a garden tractor he is building. Its got an up draft carby and is cast iron (I think, it been painted recently, certainly wieghs engough to be iron). He thinks its 9hp but isnt sure.

The model-type-code is:

233401 0216-01 78081?1

I think the question mark was an 8, maybe a 6?

Also the 1 at the end of the model number may be a 4, I'm pretty sure it's a 1 though.

If theres anything that doesnt make sense then I may have some of the numbers wrong, I'm reading the numbers off a crappy camera phone pic so yeah.

If its not to much trouble, would you please be able to tell me how to desipher the model-type-code? Do you need the workshop manual or is it pretty strait forward? If you could it would really help!

Thanks in advance

Hayden
 

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Messages
4,537
Reaction score
11
Location
Michigan Troll
The engine was made in 8-1?-1978 at plant #1, it displaces 23 cubic inches.
Horizontal shaft
Plain bearings(bushing)
Rope starter

A magnet will stick to the cooling fins on the cylinder if its iron block. Being a bushing engine it probably doesn't have an iron lined cylinder if its aluminum block.

I want to say my dad has a iron block 23 in his log splitter, but it is a much older engine and rated for 9 hp IIRC. Does you engine have the points inside a little box on the outside of the engine?
 

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Messages
1,501
Reaction score
2
Location
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks mate! :thumbsup:.

Yeah, I know about the magnet trick I've only seen the engine once so yeah.

Yeah its got points, aparently the condensors stoped working now though.

We started it up, its a ***** of thing to start hay. We tied it so a post (other wise you just pull it along woth you, its got such good compression), wrapped about 12 feet of rope around the starter cup and simply ran off with the rope in our hands :roflol:. We had to do this about 4 times before it would start (a short length of rope and quick pull simply don't get it started) once its going it runs sooooo well, idles smoothly, revs quick. When you rev it and let of the throttle foot long flames come out of the exaust, its the standard baffled exaust too :devil2:. And yes, this engines going on a tractor lol. I'l post some pics of another tractor he made with a honda engine later, its pretty awesome.

Thanks

Hayden
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top