Can ya'll help with PARTS selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtySCREW

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
NC
Hey guys...I'm still trying to get my son's go-cart project together. I posted the frame in the other thread. I really need some help selecting the parts as I don't want to buy the incorrect ones.
Can ya'll help?
I'm having to get a new axle and bearings as I want to have a chain and sprocket setup. That i get and understand. 1" axle, 36inches long..no problem

My problem is I am confused on the sprocket and brake assembly. I see
http://www.mfgsupply.com/gomini/gominibrakes/gominibrakes4half/az2267-od.html

which looks like a sprocket and brake hub in one and I just need to get the brake band....

but then there is also
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/gokaz_hubsprocket.cfm
and
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/gokaz_stlpltdsprckt.cfm

and then I need brakes.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/gokartbrake.cfm

I'm not understanding what the brake hub bolts to in the above link.
Can someone explain and possible post links with the part numbers?

I apologize early for not understanding how this goes together...but at least I'm trying to learn and give my son a good cart!
:mad2:
--DirtySCREW
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
72
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Ok, let's start at the top:

Link 1. Correct, that is a sprocket with brake drum attached which attaches to your axle using a key & set screws.
Link 2. That is a hub or carrier for either a sprocket or a brake drum/disc & fits onto your axle.
Link 3. They are sprockets that attach to the hub in link 2.
Link 4. I'll assume you're referring to the first item: that is a brake drum which also attaches to the hub in link 2 (or one like it).

If you take the parts from links 2, 3 & 4 you end up with what you see in link 1

For simplicity, the first one is easiest.

I hope I helped in some way
 

DirtySCREW

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
NC
Fabroman, THANKS!!! That was what I was thinking that link 2,3,4 made something like link 1!

Are there any pros/cons to having a sprocket/brake hub in one??

--DirtySCREW
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
72
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
The only con I can think of is the possibility of your brake rod & chain getting tangled.
Pro; it's only one thing to mount on the axle instead of two
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top