Can I weld the hub of my brake disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosch

Reaction score
Murray Explorer kart. The disk keeps coming off the 1/4" key slot. And the only practical way to reinstall it is to pull the axle, and that's a big chore.

Can I just weld the hub of the disk to he axle, or do I risk warping the disk from heat?

Attachments

• Disk brake.jpg
    Disk brake.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 17

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
Normally, i would say there should be a set screw to hold the key.

You could cut key just shy of hub length and then use 2 locking collars to hold it laterally on axle.

What keeps the disc from moving, stock?

I would just drill/tap the hub for a set screw personally :cheers2:

mckutzy

Reaction score
NO....DO NOT WELD ANYTHING ONTO THE AXLE!!!!!
Its not necessary...
Lock collars or even pipe clamps on each side... Those will do...

More onto other issues though.... For the most part, if the caliper is free to float then the disc should be in situ...
So That Begs the question...Is the caliper able to float properly on the bracket? Greased?
Caliper too?....

anickode

Reaction score
All depends on the setup. Some use floating caliper, some use floating disc. Given that the disc does not appear to have set screws, (though perhaps they're on the other side), I would say cut the key shorter (about 1/4" longer than the hub is thick) and put a lock collar on both sides. That will capture the key and hold it in place, and still allow the disc to float and compensate for pad wear.

If the disc does have set screws and the caliper floats, do as suggested before. Cut the key to exact length, and add lock collars to hold everything right in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.