can I use a fixed throttle engine with this jackshaft setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
run a pulley off the engine to the pulley on this

and obviously a chain from sprocket to rear axle

So in theory the "tensioner" would act as my centrifugal clutch then right? I would keep it spring loaded off the belt and then when twisting the throttle, it would pull the tensioner down tighter and tighter around the belt setup. Would this be okay?

would I want 1:1 for pulley size? or a larger or smaller one on the crank? also, what about belt "keepers" how would I keep the belt from flying off?

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
If, and that's a big IF, I were to try this, I'd make the tension pulley spring fed tight. Then I would put a foot operated lever that you could "lock" into neutral. You would press the foot clutch pedal, unlock it, then slowly let out the pedal. In essence, it's "feathering" the "clutch"..... With a proper spring rate, and good geometry, you can have a high spring rate for no/little slip, and a soft clutch pedal..... :thumbsup:

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
I was planning on using a twist throttle on my handlebars rather than a pedal setup though...also, what does fed tight mean?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
what Jim intended to say (at least I think he did ;))

is.. you will NOT be able to aply enough force with a twist throttle, to tighten the tensioner pulley in any "powertransfering"-manner.

keep in mind that the force of the engine is working AGAINST the pulley, and thus against your wrist.

that's why a foot clutch setup is the only reasonable why of even trying to achieve such task.

a fixed throtle engine, can (well assumably 98% of the times ) be converted to a variable throttle setup,
and quite frankly.. that's what all of us around here would prefere doing ;)

'sid

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
a fixed throtle engine, can (well assumably 98% of the times ) be converted to a variable throttle setup,
and quite frankly.. that's what all of us around here would prefere doing ;)
I know that, I am just trying to work with what I have. The rear sprocket is welded to the axle on my current setup. The tooth ratios of these or any available centrifugal clutch setup would not be at the proper ratio, meaning, A. I cut the old sprocket off the rear axle, buy a cent clutch and proper rear sprocket and hub assembly and figure out a variable throttle setup, or B. I direct figure out a way to make this belt setup work somehow.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Uhhh, buy a belt cent clutch..... Then sprocket to sprocket..... That is a factory kart set up.... There is nothing to really figure out...... :popcorn:

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
if I go variable throttle on a snowthrower 5hp briggs, do I ditch the governor then? The setup on mine is weird and not easily done keeping the gov intact. I found a guy who had one similar on Youtube and I ordered the "throttle plate" he had on his in the video, but his block had mounting points and brackets that mine does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.