Can anyone tell me what frame this is?

Ryan_6

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I bought a shifter kart project, from a buddy of mine. He told me that it is a Margay frame, but after a little research, I have my doubts. I have not reached out to Margay yet, but I was hoping someone on here, may have an idea. I really want to get this going, but it is missing a lot of parts, and I would at least like to know what I’m working with, before spending money. Here is a pic of the frame, thank you to anyone who looks at this.

Attachments

• 7125D4EB-7E29-4796-80E3-791D64B941A8.jpg
    7125D4EB-7E29-4796-80E3-791D64B941A8.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 0F11C6EB-632B-4A63-9052-A4D15CBFFCD3.jpg
    0F11C6EB-632B-4A63-9052-A4D15CBFFCD3.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 14

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
hmm.. I'd say no to "margay" tbh..

reminds me of a ZIP (doesn't match any zip I know though.. just reminded me of one)

IDK..

'sid

Ryan_6

Reaction score
Well thank you replying, I guess my next question is, are parts interchangeable, between frames etc, without too much fabrication?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Almost all attachment parts
(wheels, brakes, bearings, axles, hubs, seat, steering wheel)
are more or less standardised
means there are different sizes and you need the right one for you and/or the kart,
other than that they're 100% interchangeable without any refabbing.

There are a few parts that are not or not necessarily let's say..
like removable crossbracing and nerf bars,
sometimes the engine mount is chassis specific too.
BUT even that can be dealt with easily..
there are universal engine mounts that fit about every rail size and distance
And there's a good chance you find nerf bars that do fit with only minor adjustments of the nerf bar itself (if at all)

Only the crossbrace
(see the two tiny stub tubes on the far rear?.. that's where the crossbracing and rear bumber would mount to)
is likely going to be a DIY part..
but the good news for that is. the tubing clamps are again standardised and all you need is a cut to size length of proper diameter chromoly tube ;) (I think either 30 or 32 mm)
so no big deal at all.

So no.. nothing to really worry about.

'sid

PS would you measure the rear axle diameter for me please.. that looks like a metric 35 or 40mm axle..
if it is, we can narrow on in on the manufacturer more easily ;)

PPS check righettiridolfi.com if you need any part.. they make about every kartpart there is.

Ryan_6

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info!!! That’s what I was hoping to hear, when I get home from work, I will measure the axle and post it up.

So I measured the rear axle, it is metric, 35mm. The biggest concern I had, was buying things that wouldn’t end up working, but since most things basically will work between brands, I am not too worried about it anymore. It would be nice to know the brand, I’ve spent many hours trying to figure it out on google etc. Thank you itsid for the help u have given me, it is much appreciated.

Last edited: