Can anyone please give me any tips on my steering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal collins

Reaction score
Ive been building this for a few months in my spare time and trying to get the bugs worked out. Im stuck I cant go very fast at all the wheel jerks when I turn and when I try and correct it it jerks the otherway and its hard to steer its my first time building one any advice would really help thanks

Attachments

• 20190617_071233.jpg
    20190617_071233.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190617_071219.jpg
    20190617_071219.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190505_154620.jpg
    20190505_154620.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190505_154608.jpg
    20190505_154608.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 41

BigWes

Reaction score
Yea stop before you get killed, your rods are attached attached to the steering shaft wrong making your Ackerman geometry basically backwards. Unless the geometry is played out on the spindles somehow, which I can't see from the photos you will have the exact issues you describe. I thought most of those buggies had rack and pinion steering anyway, that doesn't even look right on there, ask 420racer he messed with buggies

Wes

420Racer

Rip It Up
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a good idea of what I'm looking at here. I have done this before mounting a quad front end to buggys. Did you use the quad steering shaft? It looks like you have extended the tierod mounting position to the shaft out pretty far if I'm seeing it right. If you did it is most likely only taking you a short turn of the steering wheel to turn the wheels. That is not what you want. You would want the tierod connection to be as close as possible to your steering shaft to give you more leverage when turning. Post some more pics of the tierods hooked up so I can see what's going on here.

420Racer

Rip It Up
Reaction score
Maybe these pics will help. These are pretty old but I mounted a 84 Suzuki front end on this buggy. I used the quad steering shaft. I used the quad tie rods but cut them and welded a pipe over them to get the right length I needed. This worked pretty good but the steering was too quick because of the way quads are setup. You have to check and make sure you have clearance on all your suspension parts so the tie rods do not hit anything when the suspension flexes. Btw this buggy will be getting done again soon but I will be putting a rack and pinion setup on it 420 predator, electric reverse and independent suspension in the rear:wai:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190618-051447.jpg
    Screenshot_20190618-051447.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20190618-051520.jpg
    Screenshot_20190618-051520.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20190618-052845.jpg
    Screenshot_20190618-052845.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 31

Neal collins

Reaction score
That's exactly what I did Im going to try and take the piece I made off the end of my steering shaft. And try to do what you

big-d

Reaction score
There are several things wrong with this steering setup. Some of them will not be noticed on an offroad kart like this. As mentioned already, You want the max turn of the steering shaft closely matched the max turn angle of your knuckles. How long the tab is that connects the inner tie rod ends to the steering shaft is what makes this adjustment. Having too long of a distance here will greatly increase steering effort because of leverage. Having too short of a distance will decrease the steering at the wheels, meaning you will not be able to turn as sharp.

The main thing you are feeling right now is- You have reverse ackermann.

There are 2 ways to correct the ackermann on this setup. First, try unbolting the steering arms and tie rods and see if there is room for them to fit on opposite sides from where they are now (they would be pointing out instead of in, which puts them inside the rim a little). If that works. Bolt them on with some locktite and make new tie rods to match the new length. If they do not fit, send me a PM and I will come back to this thread and give another solution. (I do not come on here very often:eek:)

Just to qualify my advise a little, I grafted a Yamaha blaster 4 wheeler front end onto a go kart and had to custom make the steering for it. The steering arms were bolt on just like yours. My steering was originally behind the knuckles, which would have made the tie rods connect to the steering shaft right where my legs needed to be in order to drive the kart. I changed the steering from behind the knuckles to in front and designed my own steering setup. Now it drives and handles amazing.

To see pictures of the steering setup I made for the Blaster suspension, Go to posts 72 & 73 of this link.
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32848&page=4

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 2.17.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 2.17.36 PM.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 7

Duceduce

Reaction score
Buddy !!! This thing looks bad a$$ed!! Hope you get the steering figured out !!

Status
Not open for further replies.