Call me crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mponwheels

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone,

I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan, but I'll be returning soon. Then I'm going to attempt to build me a shifter-cart. I currently have a 2005 suzuki sv650s. I high-sided before I deployed. The insurance company totaled it, but the frame is perfect, the engine is perfect....crazy people paying me to keep my motorcycle. And TN apparently doesn't have a salvage title.

Anywho, I figured I'd finance my shifter-cart project through selling parts off my bike....then using the existing engine/tranny to build me the cart.

The thing is...this is a V-twin 645cc engine that produces at least 70-hp. umm...call me crazy, but that's pretty extreme for a shifter-cart no? but I think i'll do it anyways. hahaha I have mech eng. degree and I love messing with cars. I think what I'll build will be bigger than a regular shifter-car just because the engine will need that much reinforcement...

So what do you think about a 645cc V-Twin shifter cart? I hope to learn a lot about building one from here. This will be my first shifter-cart build ever.
 

T-man

New member
Messages
1,232
Reaction score
4
Location
Missoula,MT
sounds like a plan, its going to be pritty fast with something like that on it. you could try going for a small buggy type of thing also.
 

bighead

New member
Messages
4,022
Reaction score
54
Location
Pacific Northwest USA
This is a member here ride. Cannot rememebr who right now. I love this car. You engine would do well in a ride like this.

Thanks for serving friend.
 

Attachments

  • 9809.jpg
    9809.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 26

fowler

New member
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
18
Location
Bullsbrook West Aus
he is selling this for $5000 if u are intrested (and wanna pay shipping from aus)

what u wanna make is a piranha which is one up from this meaning it performs better as the engine is in the middle

u could make a shifter kart but after seeing many utube vids the only thing those things can do are burnouts as they are too unstable for speed
 

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Messages
945
Reaction score
2
Location
New Zealand
This is a member here ride. Cannot rememebr who right now. I love this car. You engine would do well in a ride like this.

Thanks for serving friend.


No-offence bighead, but that engine isnt suited for a Sidewinder. For one it will be to heavy and really effect the balance, and it has to much power, especially for that swing arm design. And I think thats ModelEngineer?

I agree with Fowler, although we are probably biased as we both are building Piranhas. :roflol:

When seeing those super bike shifters all they do is smoke up the tires and go really fast in a straight line. I would rather have a 250cc 2 stroke MB engine in a shifter. You will find it would rival the speed and smoke it in the corners.

Something to think about, keep us posted!

Jeremy.
 

fowler

New member
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
18
Location
Bullsbrook West Aus
our idea will cost more but it will be more fun

bit of a bugger about the bike but good idea to deal out the parts
dont sell too much though

keep the exhaust and mufflers
wiring
dash
carbies (clearly)
chain
fuel pump
and some other that i forgot proberly

im sure u could have worked that out but it would be a pain if u sold somthing and then had to buy it back
 

mponwheels

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Thanks bighead for the picture! It looks like a mini-baja I dealt with about two years ago. I guess by 'shifter-cart' I guess I was thinking more in lines of Formula SAE as far as vehicle dynamics. lol I figured this forum could give me insights on go-kart dynamics.

I'm really stoked about this. I hear you Rusty, that this motor inside the typical shifter frame and 'suspensions' (or lack there of) will only smoke the tires and have absolutely horrible power dynamics. It would be like hooking up 9V battery and a motor to a hotwheels car. haha i'm not too familiar with what you guys call a pirahna or ModelEngineer? I guess I have some research to do.

I figured as general rules, #1 rule for my design would have to have low center of gravity (suspension work may be a pain...) and #2 would be weight distribution...maybe 45/55? with me in it. And then maybe work my way up from there.

I don't have the resources (AUTOCAD, welding equipment, pipe bender, materials...hah!) as I used to when I was in school. So that part might be challenging.

hmmm....maybe I can turn the bike frame around so the motor is on the back, triangulate some pipings around it, cut here and there. I dunno until I actually have it in front of me. But this is pretty exciting.
 

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Messages
945
Reaction score
2
Location
New Zealand
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Thanks bighead for the picture! It looks like a mini-baja I dealt with about two years ago. I guess by 'shifter-cart' I guess I was thinking more in lines of Formula SAE as far as vehicle dynamics. lol I figured this forum could give me insights on go-kart dynamics.

I'm really stoked about this. I hear you Rusty, that this motor inside the typical shifter frame and 'suspensions' (or lack there of) will only smoke the tires and have absolutely horrible power dynamics. It would be like hooking up 9V battery and a motor to a hotwheels car. haha i'm not too familiar with what you guys call a pirahna or ModelEngineer? I guess I have some research to do.

I figured as general rules, #1 rule for my design would have to have low center of gravity (suspension work may be a pain...) and #2 would be weight distribution...maybe 45/55? with me in it. And then maybe work my way up from there.

I don't have the resources (AUTOCAD, welding equipment, pipe bender, materials...hah!) as I used to when I was in school. So that part might be challenging.

hmmm....maybe I can turn the bike frame around so the motor is on the back, triangulate some pipings around it, cut here and there. I dunno until I actually have it in front of me. But this is pretty exciting.

Modelengineer is a member on this forum and is the guy that built that buggy that Bighead posted.

There is a company in Australia that supplies the plans for building off road buggys called The Edge Products. The picture Bighead posted is a Sidewinder, Fowler and I are building a Piranha.

Depending on your skills, I would recommend buying some plans. This is because then you don't have to plan your suspension and steering, which can be a pain if you don't know what you are doing..

Im still not clear, are you wanting suspension? Will this be more of a road kart? Not having access to those tools is going to make this build pretty challenging. Materials and a welder are virtually a prerequisite for making a kart.

Jeremy.
 

mponwheels

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Awesome, thanks Jeremy.

Well, I was going to outsource for welding the frame together. There's a really good metal works garage near me. They do a tremendous work with motorcycle frames and such. I'm hoping to use their help alot as far as the frame goes.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant I don't have resources as in I now need to go buy some of the materials rather than asking the school shop for something and get it right there and then. hah

I'll definitely take a look at those plans. thanks again
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top