"Burnout"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
So, certainly Im not the only one here who was to have a kart(or minibike) that spin the tires...

Yeah, sure a 1wd kart can... but what about a live axle?
Is it possible with the "average" kart engine?

Staying away from race karts and bike engines...
Could a person turn a, lets say 400lb kart+rider into a tire shredding machine?

What hind of engine?
Gearing?
Tire size?

Or would it be like taking a common yardkart an make it wheelie somehow?

... Just wondering.
:auto:

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
I expect so- just gear really low and use small tires.
I make black marks with my kart and knobbly's on concrete doing doughnuts so I assume that is the wheels spinning...
Should be possible.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
So lets say we got 12in tires( or whatever lawnmower front tires are), and a briggs 5hp/honda clone... what kind of gearing do you think?

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
I would go maybe 8 or 9:1. You are not going to be super fast, but you will do burnouts. You could even go lower

So about 10-15mph... ooof. Of course, if I could get 6-7-8k prm that wouldnt be so bad.

IMO, you'd be pushing it with only 5hp but, give it a go...

I think Id be willing to beef the engine up some, think I could get about 8-10hp easily? I was thinking about taking an engine to an engine guy to deck out... what do you think?

I probably wont be able to do this anytime soon... as I got 3 karts, 4 bikes, 3 lawnmowers, and about 5 other engines I need to get running... :ack2:

Lousy hobby "cougorratheranaddictioncough".
:roflol:

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
The most fun I've had on a kart was on an old concession kart we had that I mounted a 10hp side valve Tecumseh on. That kart was absolutely one heavy beast that did nothing but slide in silly directions by its massive torque.

I think people tend to pass up concession karts, however wheel swaps are easy done by people who possess the ability and will to re-drill 6" wheel halves. This gives you ground clearance.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Maybe I can do this to the little Manco I got a while back. I got an 11hp I was thinking about putting on it. What do you think?
Would a belt tensioner clutch work?

The best thing to do is to turn down the shaft to 3/4" so you can use a standard clutch.

The beauty of the kart I was mentioning was the weight, it kept it nailed to the ground with the wheelbase.

Most smaller karts can't handle the horsepower, the larger engines don't offer much for top speed, just superior torque.

OzFab

Reaction score
the larger engines don't offer much for top speed, just superior torque.

That's correct. The fact that a 5hp & a 10hp are both governed to 3600rpm means that the difference is in the torque.

For the same reason, modifying a 5hp to rev higher probably won't help much because the torque output will only change minimally.

If you want a burnout machine, it not only needs low gearing, it also needs lots of torque

GregMartin

I like fast cars
Reaction score
My kids have a 6.5HP Honda clone powered gokart. It has heaps of torque down low even though the gear ratio is 4.8:1. It's rear wheel and tyre diameter is about 12”.
My kids have been out today spinning and skipping the wheels on takeoff, winding on opposite lock to keep it straight, and performing some pretty impressive doughnuts. This was on grass of course.
IMG_0164.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.