Burning through belts...

inexperienced022

Reaction score
I recently took up a project with an old go-cart my family has that's been sitting in my garage for a while. It's been in there so long because my dad couldn't figure out why the clutch was burning through belts. I have a little knowledge about motors because I've ridden a dirt bike all my life, but I'm not the best with lingo and was hoping this project would be a good way to get some hands-on experience and learn some stuff myself. I made a lot of progress in how it's running by draining the old gas and putting some fresh gas in, oil change, and cleaning the air filter (very basic maintenance). Now that it's running well I want to fix the problem concerning the torque convertor burning through belts. If anyone has some ideas I would really appreciate it. Here's the link for a video of the belt while the go-cart is running. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TLotCM-0MLFsE4V0-g4B2No9t4t92N1U/view?usp=sharing

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If the inboard side of that clutch is as flat as it looks to me, then it's a 30 series CVT (Constant Variable Transmission), aka a TC (Torque Converter). You said you wanted to learn the lingo. The 40 series would have the inboard side of the clutch to be at the same angle (inverse of course) as the outboard side, and it's the heavy duty version of the two.
The 30 series you seem to have uses an asymmetrical belt to match the sides of the clutch. That's 18 degrees on the outboard side, and only 2.5 degrees on the inboard side (looks like it's a flat side, but has 2.5 degrees). Not a common V-belt like the 40 series.
Is it burning up the asymmetrical belts it needs, or common V-belts from the local gas station that are guaranteed to burn up in the wrong application. You might be surprised how many people have done that, both accidentally and also on purpose because they were so desperate to ride immediately.
Go to "GokartSupply.com", click on the square for Comet Drive Belts. It will show you diagrams, installation instructions, and everything you need to know about gokart belt drives.

ThunderKart79

Reaction score
The inboard side is the engine side that is another part of the lingo a lot of people pretend to know. It is also definitely time to disassemble the driver and the driven and lay all parts in order on a clean bench and take a few close up picks of all parts. That’s truly the only way we can determine if something is missing or wore out. The cleaner the units are the better they perform. A dirty unit can and will wear out belts prematurely due to higher temps they are air cooled. The smother it works the lower the temperature will remaine and if several belts have been turned into micro rubber dust without cleaning the driver will fight itself trying to do its job.