Building a Cart

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriggsTwins

Reaction score
Well my first go cart was purchased used years ago, it had a 5 horse fun power briggs that was in DIRE need of a rebuild, so it sat and the engine rotted away, only a year ago a friend lent me a 6 horse I/C briggs and from then on it was a blast. Now i want to make something a little better! however i am short of the all important $$$ soo its gonna be a while
I currently have a running opposed twin 18 that is going onto the new frame, and maybe the 6 speed trans will go too. havent decided yet!

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
If it's a mower trans. then you can forget it. They are pretty much useless unfortunately.

Not completely true, some transaxles can handle 30 or 40mph if left in one gear (normally the forward gear with a 1:1 ratio or close to it) and race prepped. Many racing mowers use peerless 820 transaxles, and they tend to hold up well. So if it is a 820 and you want to use it you can, but be careful gearing it for any speeds above 30.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
some transaxles can handle 30 or 40mph if left in one gear

Then what's the point of having the transaxle? If you have to stay in one gear you might as well just have a clutch and chain for the exact same effect.

OK, but with the exception of a few transaxles and modified ones, they are not very good.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Then what's the point of having the transaxle? If you have to stay in one gear you might as well just have a clutch and chain for the exact same effect.

OK, but with the exception of a few transaxles and modified ones, they are not very good.

In a kart there is no point, but in most racing mower classes you must use a lawnmower origin transaxle and engine.

BriggsTwins

Reaction score
Well on the transaxle i wouldnt really abuse this kart, it is mainly meant for the street, i can get satisfactory speed from it but it may jsut blow up on the first run, unfortunately i cant afford a 44 series Comet torque converter. so there in lies the rub how do i get power to ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.