Building a basic Go-kart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Themurraykart

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am a big fan go-karts and I own a few and do work on them often. I have a science fair that I annually attend at my high school. My goal is to have a go-kart that is capable of running on gasoline or natural gas. But in the forum I will mostly cover building the go-kart. Unlike my other projects I have to get this one done by February 26th so this will be a high paced project. The go-kart will be a small, one wheel drive street kart. I am hoping to make a book or guide that I can sell on eBay as a PDF file. All of you get to see the build for free though haha! I will be starting today and I will hopefully have my dimensions and parts list by the end of the day. I hope all of you guys like this thread!

Fred:D

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
good luck, thats gotta be built fast. i put together my bike in a little over a week so its possible.

Themurraykart

Reaction score
I drew up the plans. I will be using 243in of 1x1 11g square steel tubing, 2 5/8 bolts for rear, 2 spindle conectors up front, and plywood in the front so that my feet dont get caught, haha! Hopefully I will have thee steel by the end of today.

Themurraykart

Reaction score

Frame rough draft

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
You'll want to narrow the frame behind the front wheels and extend the spindle yokes out to the track width. As it stands, you've left no room for the front wheels to swivel as you steer.

Regarding the possibility of running CNG- While interesting, that's gonna make for a really bulky, heavy tank unless you're going really small on the capacity.

I don't suppose you have a licensed gas fitter than can look your install over for a beer or two?

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Where are you planning on getting CNG? If anything, I would think to use propane since it's fairly cheap and easy to find.

Themurraykart

Reaction score
I had meant to say propane... I think I will use a little camping propane tank. And regarding my design why would I narrow frame? How many more inches should I make the track width up front?

Themurraykart

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of the engine that I rebuilt to use on this go-kart. I replaced all gaskets, replaced spark plug, removed governer, de-greased, re-painted, and I am in the proccess of getting the carb and gas tank ready.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Let me try to clarify this a bit:
You want the front track width to more-or-less match the rear- but if you don't narrow the frame, the front wheels will not have room to swivel around when you steer without rubbing on the framerails. Actual width measurements will depend on spindle and knuckle design, tire and rim sizes and desired degree of steering. You probably want to narrow by 10-12" overall.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Let me try to clarify this a bit:
You want the front track width to more-or-less match the rear- but if you don't narrow the frame, the front wheels will not have room to swivel around when you steer without rubbing on the framerails. Actual width measurements will depend on spindle and knuckle design, tire and rim sizes and desired degree of steering. You probably want to narrow by 10-12" overall.

Themurraykart

Reaction score
After looking at this picture,

I think I will move my spindle yokes up to the edge of the frame and out a few inches like this 2 seater kart on this website. I will be moving the second bar back also to support the steering hoop.

Themurraykart

Reaction score
I bought a-lot of parts today. I am also in the process of making the final plans for the go-kart.

Things I bought today:

Left and right spindles 36$

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_20861_20861

2 5/8 8inch bolts for rear axles 6$

#35 drive chain 13$

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200331436_200331436

4ft of zinc-plated chain for steering wheel 4$ (1$ a foot)

Engine mounting plate 16$

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_35040_35040

Brake band+drum 25$/brake pin 3.29$/line screw 1.50$

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_334786_334786

36" 3/4 hollow steel shaft for steering 3$

Tomorrow I will be posting the hopefully final draft of the plans I drew up. All constructive criticism on my design is VERY much needed, this is my first build.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.