Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 35hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen115

Reaction score
My father and I picked up a Vanguard 35hp yesterday for $75. Granted it needs a couple things, but for the price we couldn't pass it up.

The shaft measures 1 1/8, and I've only been able to find a couple clutch with that size diameter. I'm just not sure they're the right fit as their is limited information on them.

My main questions is do they even make centrifugal clutches/torque converters for this size motor? and/or is there a better route to go?

Thank you!
SJ

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Thats one **** of a motor you got. I got bad news for you, the driver for a TAV for that thing is going to run you 160$, and that doesn't include a driven. Now the second question is what the **** can you the motor on and not tear the frame to pieces. Even a sturdy Murray or Manco probably couldn't handle that kind of power. Either that or burnouts for days.

If you do manage to get that on a go kart, well that would be sick to the n-th power.

Stephen115

Reaction score
I think you can get the Comet 780 with a 1⅛" shaft. Should handle the power.

Thank you for the reply.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Thats one **** of a motor you got. I got bad news for you, the driver for a TAV for that thing is going to run you 160$, and that doesn't include a driven. Now the second question is what the **** can you the motor on and not tear the frame to pieces. Even a sturdy Murray or Manco probably couldn't handle that kind of power. Either that or burnouts for days.

If you do manage to get that on a go kart, well that would be sick to the n-th power.

We're excited to take on the challenge. We're currently working on a frame and figuring out our overall setup. We were looking for a V-twin and just happened to get lucky with this one. The 35hp motor will mean more work, but the end result is going to be well worth it.

Is there a certain TAV driven you recommend? Which $160 driver are you referencing?

Randy H

Reaction score
You will need a drive clutch, a driven clutch, a jackshaft set up, and the appropriate belt. No TAV for this thing.

At that level of power a 94c and 94d (drive and driven) will be a good choice. I have seen a 780 drive clutch blow apart with a built 18hp Vanguard. Granted it was running at a much higher RPM than stock.

Your looking at 50-60ft/lbs (lbs. ft) torque.

Price is about the same. Either way your looking at close to $500 + jackshaft, fabrication, guard.

Not 94d, 90d
https://beltpalace.com/comet212299a.html
Or
https://beltpalace.com/comet212291a.html

Last edited:

anickode

Reaction score
The other option, if you can't find a suitable driver in 1⅛" is to have the shaft turned down to 1" and then use the 780 setup. A 1" shaft should still handle the torque just fine. For Pete's sake, the axle shafts in most cars are thinner than that.

anderkart

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I still have a good used, & super heavy-duty, 1-1/8"-bore centrifugal clutch around here somewhere that's made for karts with large Industrial engines.

I'm not sure of its brand, model or HP-rating, but its humongous and probably weighs like 5-lbs. I have no use for it, and It'd probably help out in keeping your costs & additional fabrication needs of installing a jackshaft down...

I paid $75 for it, and would sell for the same price-shipped, if you live in the continental USA.

I never had the engine to try it out, but it certainly apears like it would still work just fine. I'd be selling as-is, but I've been a moderator of this forum for a long time, and wouldn't intentionally rip anyone off... :thumbsup:

I could send much better pics if your interested, but you can kinda see it in the lower-left corner of the cardboard box of this pic. It's got cooling fins around the outer-portion of the drum, and was probably a very expensive racing clutch that originally sold for serveral hundred bucks:

Attachments

• kp6.jpg
    kp6.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 13

Stephen115

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I still have a good used, & super heavy-duty, 1-1/8"-bore centrifugal clutch around here somewhere that's made for karts with large Industrial engines.

I'm not sure of its brand, model or HP-rating, but its humongous and probably weighs like 5-lbs. I have no use for it, and It'd probably help out in keeping your costs & additional fabrication needs of installing a jackshaft down...

I paid $75 for it, and would sell for the same price-shipped, if you live in the continental USA.

I never had the engine to try it out, but it certainly apears like it would still work just fine. I'd be selling as-is, but I've been a moderator of this forum for a long time, and wouldn't intentionally rip anyone off... :thumbsup:

I could send much better pics if your interested, but you can kinda see it in the lower-left corner of the cardboard box of this pic. It's got cooling fins around the outer-portion of the drum, and was probably a very expensive racing clutch that originally sold for serveral hundred bucks:

PM Sent!

Status
Not open for further replies.