Briggs lawn mower carb issues again

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Messages
866
Reaction score
18
Location
Weeki Wachee Fl.
I have a toro recycler 22" with a briggs engine and once again the carburetor's acting up. I'm 90% sure that its the float needle seal or inlet but I want to make sure before I open it up again.

It will start with no issue and mow for about 10 minutes, then it struggles and stalls. Then if I wait about 10 minutes it will fire up and run for about half a minute before stalling.

If anyone thinks that something else could be wrong with the carb let me know.
 

Clifton

Member
Messages
42
Reaction score
2
Location
Illinois
If the float gets stuck and floods the engine with gas it can thin out the oil and cause overheating problems like you describe.

Another possibility is the ignition coil going bad, once it heats up and dies you can check and see if you are still getting spark to rule that out.
 

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Messages
866
Reaction score
18
Location
Weeki Wachee Fl.
I doubt that the engine is overheating since it still turns over pretty easily after stalling. It could be the ignition coil, though not likely since the mower isn't that old. I checked the oil level and its right where it should be. I could be wrong but to me it seems like the mower is starving for fuel causing it to stall. It did get set aside for a little while, before I started working on it, because the carb was gummed up.
•MERGED•
I should have mentioned this before but some dumb:censored: put diesel fuel in with the non ethanol fuel which I use in everything, Including this mower. And this issue started after giving it a full tank of the mixture.

A list of things the diesel E0 mix caused not to run follows:
1995 Yamaha Warrior 350
2000 Buick Lesabre
Craftsman YT4500 (almost sounded like a blown rod)
2014 Baja Warrior
Honda GC160

PS: I will be contacting the department of agriculture about the issue. And I have three samples totaling about 12 gallons of the bad gas.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
that's bad..

BUT it could've been worse..

A gas engine with diesel runs crappy and you need to rinse the tank
(seldomly clean the carb other than flooding it a couple of times with fresh gas)
and you'd be back on the road.

putting gasolene in a diesel... and you have a serious problem
as soon as the engine tries to burn that stuff :eek:
(blown head gaskets, bent valves etc.. you could total the engine in short order)

So yeah.. you should still consider yourself lucky -somehow- ;)

'sid
 

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Messages
866
Reaction score
18
Location
Weeki Wachee Fl.
that's bad..

BUT it could've been worse..

A gas engine with diesel runs crappy and you need to rinse the tank
(seldomly clean the carb other than flooding it a couple of times with fresh gas)
and you'd be back on the road.

putting gasolene in a diesel... and you have a serious problem
as soon as the engine tries to burn that stuff :eek:
(blown head gaskets, bent valves etc.. you could total the engine in short order)

So yeah.. you should still consider yourself lucky -somehow- ;)

'sid

I am aware that diesel in a gasoline engine equals an extremely poor running engine (you should have heard my Buick when that mix hit the engine). The first thing that i did was empty the tank drain the carb and fill with fresh gas, and that's when I encountered this problem.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top