Briggs identification help

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Hi guys i have a vintage briggs and stratton motor that i can not find any information on.. the first set of numbers is GB second 902101 third set is 78675

The motor has a oil bath air cleaner so im guessing its pretty **** old. I just cant find any information on it from the briggs site.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
and for the first 2 numbers on the id plate its accutaly 6B im just a little retarded today hahah.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Thanks russ! that kinda narows it down. Im getting zero spark in the spark plug ive tryed different ones but when my finger is touching the end of the plug wire and the block i get a shock when i turn it over... yet there is not spark in the plug.. but i get power.. any sujestions? i cleaned the points and all grounds on the coil. there are 3 wires from the coil one to the points one to the block grounding it and the third is the plug wire

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
Probably weak spark then. IMO, grab a sten's electronic upgrade an get rid of the points. Im just not a fan of too complicated and delicate systems. You can bolt it anywhere and it saves a ton of hassle.

However, on my old tecumseh the coil died right after i put it in. No matter what i tried it wouldnt spark. So i got a new coil, and it has been working perfect since.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
yet there is not spark in the plug.
Try the direct approach. Hold wire close to block without plug. Should get spark by quickly rocking flywheel back and forth. A full spin is not necessary.
Also, make sure it is a non resistance plug. A Champion J8C, CJ8 or CJ8Y is correct...no "R" in the prefix.
I prefer the CJ8Y.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Yes im grounding the plug in a clean part of the block. Also i use a tourqe wrench.. but anyway ill take a look at the spark plug and i get a tiny spark when i touch it to the block without the plug. mabey eaqual to a 9 volt battery when the terminals are touched together.. nothing to powerfull.. i am going to replace the points and condenser tomorrow see if that helps out a bit. the condenser in there is a little crushed not sure if that will cause it but it cant be helping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.