Briggs and Stratton

Status
Not open for further replies.

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
My mother-in-law brought me two new (old) engines today. I don't know anything about B&S and their throttle linkage looks tricky, but for the price of a new carb, these things might work. I really want the little to run more than the big one. I have a tiny go kart for my 5 yr old, that I'd like to put it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
Nice, I have a 5hp Briggs like yours I want to rebuild too. Hopefully yours just needs a tuneup.

I looked up the price of a new carb and boy they are expensive compared to the Predator ones. About $105. I'm going to buy the carb rebuild kit for them.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Welder, grinder, and a file. I usually take a piece of paper and hold it over the opening I want it to fit and rub a dirty finger around on it which will transfer the pattern to the paper almost perfectly. Then cut out the flanges, figure out the angles you want, and attach them with a piece of tubing.

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
Welder, grinder, and a file. I usually take a piece of paper and hold it over the opening I want it to fit and rub a dirty finger around on it which will transfer the pattern to the paper almost perfectly. Then cut out the flanges, figure out the angles you want, and attach them with a piece of tubing.

That's a good idea! I like it!
Do you think a 6.5 Predator carb, will work on a 3hp B&S? I know the fuel/air mixture will be correct. But, will it be too much fuel/air for the smaller engine and exhaust?

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I think it will work fine. If not, I can show you how to restrict the air bleeds to get a stronger signal to the main and pilot jet. Carbs aren't usually too big, the emulsion circuits are usually too big for what they're on.

I built this tillitson intake for my clone the way I described above.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 24

OzFab

Reaction score

Excellent description, Thanks FHB :thumbsup:

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
I took the carb apart to clean it, and familiarize myself with its operation. This fuel pump diaphragm is probably the reason it would not start.

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
I tried to post a video, but it keeps giving me this error message!? Anyways, $16 dollars for a gasket, a diaphragm, and new air filters, and she runs!

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
This how I made the header. 1/2 iron pipe, threaded right in.

Used a wrench to tighten down the pipe adapter. It a plus rearward pressure to the chrome sink pipe.

I'll probably paint that tip black.

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
That's pretty cool...Hopefully the chrome won't burn but turn cool colors, and stay that way...

Hopefully. I ran it long enough for the inner pipe to get hot as ****, but the outer one was just warm. If the chrome does come off, I'll just wrap it with header wrap. That will still look more cool than the stupid stock one.

Status
Not open for further replies.