Briggs and Stratton - SAE socket sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

88nightrider

Reaction score
Since I live in Norway most of the things here have metric fittings and bolts. So in general tools in SAE sizes are not so common here. Granted that some of the metric sockets do fit some of the SAE sizes...
The only things I have personally encountered that use SEA fasterners are some of the old tractors we have here, and my 1987 Ford Sierra (a mix between metric and SAE).
For those we have tools that fit, so no problem.
But the Briggs engines in general use quite a bit smaller tools then those we got here.
One of the sizes I have had to "improvise" with is the one thats on the bolts that hold the ignition coil in place on my 3HP...
So if anyone has a list of the socket sizes generally used on Briggs and stratton engines 3HP to 8HP:)D) I would be gratefull.

- Yngve

KartFab

Reaction score
I would just get a deep socket set:
You would probably cover your bases with:

5/16"
3/8"
7/16"
1/2"
9/16"

Not sure about the flywheel nut size, that's definitely bigger.

KartFab

Reaction score
Your right. There may be a few bolts on the carb that need 1/4" from what I can remember they also have different heads (torx? Flat, Phillips)

88nightrider

Reaction score

qtband

Reaction score
I don't think so. 5/8 or 3/4 or something a little bigger. I'll try to check mine when I get home tonight.

solomon

Reaction score
13/16 for the spark plug. hold the flywheel with a wrench and use a hammer and a piece of wood and smack the starter rachet assembly counter clockwise.

88nightrider

Reaction score
13/16 for the spark plug
Might be right :) I have a selection of different sizes plug sockets that have yet to let me down.
But thank you :wai:
hold the flywheel with a wrench and use a hammer and a piece of wood and smack the starter rachet assembly counter clockwise.
As the starter rachet assembly I have on my engines looks to be made out of plastic. Doing that won't hurt them then?
And I wont break off any of the cooling finns either?
Again, thank you :wai::wai::wai:

solomon

Reaction score
U can put some rope in the spark plug hole and turn over the motor until it locks up as well. Your starter assembly should be metal, with a plastic cover on the front and typically a metal mesh bolts over that with 2 1/4" or 2 5/32" bolts

88nightrider

Reaction score
U can put some rope in the spark plug hole and turn over the motor until it locks up as well. Your starter assembly should be metal, with a plastic cover on the front and typically a metal mesh bolts over that with 2 1/4" or 2 5/32" bolts
I'll look into that when I get home to my parents on Monday - Tuesday (ATM I'm only at my apartment in the city in the weekends).

Thank you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.