Briggs and Stratton 5hp mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawicat

Reaction score
what are popular mods for a Briggs and Stratton 5hp Flathead?

any help/suggestions are appreciated thanks.

P.S. no i do not want to put a bigger motor in the kart.

Zombient

Junkyard Derelict
Reaction score
Bored out cylinder, cam, rod, shaved head, shaved eyebrows, port/polish intake/exhaust, jet carb, whole new carb, muffler.

kawicat

Reaction score
I know a predator would be a quick solution. I dont mind doing some work to the motor i already have. What carb should i put on? Should i leave the governer how it is? Or should i remove it? What needs to be removed for the motor to function properly?

thanks again.

Last edited:

Zombient

Junkyard Derelict
Reaction score
I know a predator would be a quick solution. I dont mind doing some work to the motor i already have. What carb should i put on? Should i leave the governer how it is? Or should i remove it? What needs to be removed for the motor to function properly?

thanks again.

That's going to take a little bit of info. What model is the Briggs? Is it a flathead or OHV?

Carb? Well, you can be creative with that. I've seen Honda carbs on flathead Briggs engines. Removing the governor will help with the RPM, but that also brings a few risks, like throwing a rod. I doubt you'll shatter the Briggs cast flywheel, but you can easily throw a rod. Removing the gov means fully removing it. Not just disconnecting it. There's hundreds of videos on YT for that.

Which I forgot to add that too. You can get a lighter flywheel too.

OzFab

Reaction score
How much power do you want = how deep are your pockets...

Jr dragsters manage to drag 50hp (no, that's not a typo) from a 5hp B&S engine, it all depends on what you want it to do & how much you're willing to spend...

kawicat

Reaction score
Id like to have 8-12 hp. I milled the head flat today and installed a thinner gasket. Tomorrow i will shave the eyebrows and maybe remove the governer

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Would a mikuni 30mm slide carb work or would that be too big?

kawicat

Reaction score
So i pulled the governer but i havent done the eyebrows. Do i need to pull everything from the block to do so? also i have a 30m mikuni from a snowmobile that i was wondering if i could use

kawicat

Reaction score
Picked up a sled motor to put in my kart so wont be doing anything more with the flathead. Thanks to those who helped. Mods can close thread now. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.