Break in on a gx200

Status
Not open for further replies.

gguuyy

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just got a new Honda gx200 for my kart project. I didn't receive an owners manual or any type of information on it so I was wondering what I should do to break it in properly. All info on this will be greatly appreciated.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
You'll find the manual here:
http://m.engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/GX200

just check your engine ID to see which one matches your engine..

but be warned, there is NO break in routine in that manual.
I don't know why, maybe the engines are already broken in (it's Honda.. they are good, maybe good enough to take care of that too) *shrugs*

To be on the safe side though, I'd say just assume you have to break it in ;)

here's a simple how to:

use fresh cheap oil,
let the engine run at 1/3 throttle for about 1.5 hours (without load),
change oil (same grade),
repeat at 2/3 throttle (again without load for 1.5h).
remove oil,
fill in oil specified in the manual*, and you're done.

*SAE 10W-30 (API service category SJ or later)

'sid

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
let the engine run at 1/3 throttle for about 1.5 hours (without load),
change oil (same grade),
repeat at 2/3 throttle (again without load for 1.5h).
I could not disagree more.
A single speed should NOT be maintained for more a just a couple minutes.
Speed should be varied as it would be during normal service.
New engines are designed to be put into full service immediately.
I would however, keep the full load to a minimum for the first couple of tankfuls of regular gas.
Use a good brand of oil through out the life span of the engine. Change after first 5 hours.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I could not disagree more.
A single speed should NOT be maintained for more a just a couple minutes.
Speed should be varied as it would be during normal service.
New engines are designed to be put into full service immediately.
I would however, keep the full load to a minimum for the first couple of tankfuls of regular gas.
Use a good brand of oil through out the life span of the engine. Change after first 5 hours.

So what you're saying is, that emergency power generators fitted with a GX are a mistake by design...
Even water pumps run at 3600 rpm for HOURS
hmm

Anyway, yes I think the original Honda applies to "put into service immediately" idea;
unfortunately that is not true for a clone (like a predator or similar cheap ones) that's why they ask to let the engine run for ~3h not applying load or full throttle.
No hint, that you have to change the rpm every other minute though.
*shrugs*

'sid

OzFab

Reaction score
I think what Russ is saying is treat it as you would under normal working conditions; industrial engines (as this is) are designed to run at a constant 3600rpm so, it stands to reason that the break-in would mimic those conditions.

However, a go kart is not the typical application it was designed for so, the breaking porcedure must mimic "standard operating conditions" of the application; a go kart doesn't run at constant full throttle, it's up & down so, the break-in should mimic those conditions...

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Tony for clearing things up for me.
I think I understand now,

somehow I took Russ' "should NOT" as "must not";
I don't know why.
Sorry Russ. :cheers2:

Yes, it makes perfect sense to mimic the "standard operating condition" except the load and max throttle part, well at least as good as you can.

Still, I don't think I'd sit by a running engine watching it's paint dry for some hours just to move the throttle every now and then ;)
But that's just me...

'sid

fowler

Reaction score
Hmmm cant honestly agree w/ 'this' logic(not that Im a mechanic...
i dont like pulling this card but i am
and i dont know about russ but he has enough experiace to be a dam good one

just a guy that believes in rules of thumb). The term breaking in period is just that... the period of a motor/cylinder/valve's life, that hones and heats up virgin cylinder walls/rings, valve/slide, and ensures proper seating of seals/moving parts. It's proven heated metal is stronger(if not over heated). Under a varying rpm/load, would cause a varying of seating(takes longer to 'break-in'), and could inevitably cause un-needed wear to the walls/rings, from the metal not, parsay, hardening.
the rule of thumb or common knowlegde is to vary the revs and load continuously
that what they do on the dynos doing numerous runs under a range of conditions
and how the car dealerships tell u to drive
just drive it like normal and go easy for the first 1k or what ever
and if the parts are not properly hardened by the time they are installed then failure is imminent
if u are changeing the make up of the steel during breakin then u would be severely over heating the engine
breaking in is to seat all the moving parts like rings to bores valves to seats and so on
its not unuseual to have high contamination on break in

I personally took my "NEW" motor, filled it up after bolting to the table, started it walked away... came back 3 hrs later, drained oil. Mounted fully on kart, chain and wheel connected, kart off the ground...ran 3hrs at half throttle... change oil. Next tank, same throttle(w/ driving/load), refill gas and run full throttle(driving), change oil(end of break-in period).

might have appeared to work
probably did
definitely not the recommended procedure
i wouldn't be surprised if your 10hr engine looks like my 40hr engine

iv run in a range of things from water pumps to 4x4 engines to $500'000 65lt dump truck engines
all manufactures make u follow differant procedures but all have the same basics

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
Break in is a touchy subject, when I was into hot rods I heard and read probably a dozen way to break in an engine. One was that you had to run a certain rpm for so much time to seat the rings, then coll and run another sped for another time to break in the lifters, One theory was you break it in how you are going to use it, or run it for ten minutes to get it hot, the shut it off and let it cool down, and heat cycle it like that 4 or 5 times, etc.

You won't find any perfect answer.

rocketkart

Reaction score
i think the Honda gx200 and clones were all ready broke in. from what i know
befor thay leave the factory thay spin them with oil in thim with a electric motor for some time befor thay are packed and shipped out. idk i know thay did this with some of the briggs engine whin i work there many yr ago.

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Reaction score
This is all very interesting. I assumed the manufacturers break in instructions would be the way to go, but I hadn't considered intended usage. I guess it makes sense to imitate how it will be used.

I kind of did that with my predator, but I would let it idle for like 30mins at a time, and walk outside every once in a while and rev it half way for about 5 or 10 seconds, then rev it all the way for like 1 second, then let it idle again. That was for 3hrs as per the manual's suggested break in period.

It seems to be okay, but, do you experienced small engine guys think that was good, or should I do something differently next time?

That reminds me... I need to change my oil.... again :D

EDIT: I apologize for asking in someone else's thread :)

gguuyy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I just let it run at idle for an hour or so( I did that three times total) then waited a few hours and let it run just enough to spin the wheels for about 45 minutes and changed the oil. Now I'm just going to ride it at a slow pace for the first two or three tanks then ill have some fun soon as my throttle linkage kit comes in!

fowler

Reaction score
Where do people get this info

Letting any engine idle for a long peorids is very bad for it

But it's done now so too bad
At least it was a Honda u did it to
There's not much point taking it slow now

Better off to go hard now

Try to burn some of that new glaze off

gguuyy

Reaction score
It makes since to rev the motor some which I did but under full load defeats the purpose of break in doesn't it? I just wanted it to heat it up to its normal running temp without a load. When I first ride it I will be revving up and down just not fu throttle for the first few tanks.

fowler

Reaction score
Not really
Reving it with no load and under load is part of a standard procedure

It's more the idling bit

When an engine is at idle it's in its worst running state
There's no point designing an engine to run great at idle because it doesn't work there
Idle is just a convenience thing
So it doesn't stop when ever your not using it

At idle the engine often is running rich and cold which is quite unhealthy
This leads to a brown layer on the cylinder wall and rings called glazing

This stuff is very hard and causes both oil to
Get into the combustion chamber and combustion gases to get out into the crank case

Bad glazing can lead some to rebuild the engine

In the trucks and earthmoving gear if u leave the engine to idle for 10 mins then the computer will rev the engine out to almost full revs
It's been programmed to accept that neither running states are good but running no load full revs is better that idle

Moral of the story
Don't idle for long periods
Have u ruined the engine
No
Have u run it in properly
No
Is there any point following the procedure
No

Still don't run full throttle or full load
But do a bit of work at high load and high revs
Hopefully u can burn off a bit of glaze before it's permanent

gguuyy

Reaction score
Ok thanks for explaining it. I did remove the muffler while trying to connect the throttle cable and there was some build up that I didn't expect to see yet so next time I do a break in I will try it like you say but hopefully that'll be awhile.

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Reaction score
Where do people get this info

The GX200 clone I have is the first brand new engine I've ever had to break in. I read the tag that suggested a 3 hour break in with no heavy load, and just assumed riding the bike it was going on would be too much, but apparently I was wrong.

It's good to know the proper way to do it now, which makes total sense. Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385537466122.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385537466122.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 4

fowler

Reaction score
These are industrial engines remenber
So they designed for use on a building site or farm

So saying no heavy load is so someone doesn't bolt it to a cement mixer then over load the mixer and make it work non stop for 3 hours

On a mini bike it wouldn't see much load at all unless u gun it everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.