Brand new pwk 24mm carb yet engine isn't starting.

kart_goes_brrr

Active member
Messages
117
Reaction score
83
That is exactly why I call those a bug screen.
Cause thats about all its gonna stop from going into your engine.

Leave the starter cup alone. Find a new recoil or fix the one you have.
Your rope works better cause your getting more revolutions per yank than the recoil was.
A good rule is dont go poking your fingers where you wouldn't poke your di... um, you know..

Sitting dormant is the worst for engines.
The gas goes bad and turns to varnish as you found out. Just cleaning the jets might get most of the crud out but there are little air passages that must be clean to function properly. This is the main reason people have issues.
If it only runs with the choke on or partially on, the carb is plugged and not getting enough fuel. Restricting the air with the choke fixes the air/fuel mixture but its not the proper way to run things.

In the future, if you know its gonna sit for a while, drain the gas and let the engine run till it empties the bowl and sputters out on its own.
Noted, thanks for the tips about emptying the gas, and the uhh D part... Anyways, right now it runs amazing even without choke, it sounds healthier than before and it's doing some big pops from the exhaust, It doesn't rattle as much as before and the mix seems to be correct this time. It idles nicely atleast. Alright, thank you for replying!
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,228
Reaction score
4,201
I can see my house from here.

I can see the blue sky over Tunisia 🤩

What he means is, you’re not supposed to see anything through your filter (except some light). I mean if you actually want to filter out dirt particles.

Basically yours is little better than a screen door that people have on their doors and windows to let the air through the house but keeps the gnats out. I think you’ll need an “old fashioned” pleated paper/fabric air filter with a foam pre-filter (basically a foam sleeve) on it or an air filter that is made of nothing but foam.

Look at UNI filters and similar.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,228
Reaction score
4,201
Also another thing, I think the way that the flywheel is exposed like that is a bit sketchy, looks way too dangerous, I thought maybe I should cut up the old cover so that there's enough space to wind up and not leaving it fully exposed. Of course this is a temporary solution, just until I can get another recoil starter.

Oh it is sketchy and dangeous; it’s basically a vaccum cleaner with exposed whirling teeth. That is why they are usually covered up and have a perforated metal screen in that location. The screen is to prevent dirt, leaves or trash from getting sucked up into the blower shroud and stuck in the engine’s cooling fins. Clogged cooling fins would overheat the engine in fairly short order.

Keeps fingers out too, but who’s dumb enough to stick their hand in there? 😳
 

kart_goes_brrr

Active member
Messages
117
Reaction score
83
Oh it is sketchy and dangeous; it’s basically a vaccum cleaner with exposed whirling teeth. That is why they are usually covered up and have a perforated metal screen in that location. The screen is to prevent dirt, leaves or trash from getting sucked up into the blower shroud and stuck in the engine’s cooling fins. Clogged cooling fins would overheat the engine in fairly short order.

Keeps fingers out too, but who’s dumb enough to stick their hand in there? 😳
Fair enough about the hand sticking, I would say that some people are really dumb and reckless to even think about putting their hands near that, but anyways. I guess I'll have to leave it like that until I get a new starter, hopefully ASAP, thanks for the tips and info!
 
Top