Brake system Recommendation for Predator 420cc engine

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I have hydraulic disk brakes with one rear rotor/caliper setup.
Can you lock up the rear axle stomping on those brakes? There's no room for improvement on the rear braking if you can do that. If not, you must first be absolutely sure you've got all the air bled out, get a friend to help you with pushing and/or holding the brake, opening/closing the bleeder on the caliper, etc., then you're ready to make improvements if they won't lock up still. First be sure the disc is thick enough to match the caliper, a disc that's too thin won't get enough action from the caliper piston. If you have room to put on a larger diameter disc of the proper thickness without it banging stuff on the ground, the bigger it is the better it'll stop you for the same amount of pedal effort. Like 18.8" of surface on a 6" disc, but 25.1" of surface on a 8" disc.
Not very easy to add front brakes, not very many options for wheel hub setups for front brakes.
Yeah, what he said. Verify first that locking up the rear is not good enough to make you happy before you consider front brakes.

USAMAC

Reaction score
.Not if you know what your doing, I just used a large syringe (from the last turkey fry), push it in, hook a hose
from it to the bleeder, crack then pull it out. Bled.
Seriously, is there a video anywhere of someone doing this? If not, you wanna make one?!

karl

Reaction score
Seriously, is there a video anywhere of someone doing this? If not, you wanna make one?!
Couple on youtube, but it's the same exact concept as the fancy power bleeders.

One day might get round to it.

I could not get my kart's brakes bled with the traditional method, the syringe worked great.

Last edited:

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Interesting H.F. product for $20, but for $20 I can pay a friend to help me bleed brakes all day long.
Yeah but this will allow one to do the job by themself, refill/add fluid to the reservoir much more easily, as well as make it easier to dispose of the old fluid.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Okay, trying to give the H.F. setup a fair shake, looked at it again.................Guess I just feel those funky plastic adapters and stuff don't look very solid for pressurizing a system with pumped up air, that they wouldn't leak or just pop out. That and the fact it says it uses gravity to auto-refill the MC during use. What gets pressurized, what's gravity, what does it hook up to (lines, fittings, ???) ?

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Quite a few of us car techs use them at work. The air line is used as a vacuum to suck fluid from the calipers. Once it gets to a steady stream, you're done and you move to the next caliper. We start at the furthest caliper from the master cylinder and go up. Top off the master cylinder reservoir and you're done. I don't believe these work well with DOT 5, but I've never tried since I don't own a vehicle that is old enough to use it.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
There are some pressure vessel types where you fill up a bladder with brake fluid, fill it up with air. Screw it on to the brake reservoir. Open the valve, then crack each caliper bleeder. Either way works. Long as all the air gets bled out, it should be fine.

Just with this vacuum type, you'll want to keep the reservoir cap off to help bleed air out. Granted, this only works if you have an air compressor.

Bigblockguy

Reaction score
Okay, trying to give the H.F. setup a fair shake, looked at it again.................Guess I just feel those funky plastic adapters and stuff don't look very solid for pressurizing a system with pumped up air, that they wouldn't leak or just pop out. That and the fact it says it uses gravity to auto-refill the MC during use. What gets pressurized, what's gravity, what does it hook up to (lines, fittings, ???) ?
Gravity is the invisibleforce that holds things to the ground.

Donnie2Dinos

Reaction score
We are kinda new to this, can anyone point me in the right direction for brake pads for use with the 420 cc?