Brake petal configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

vw_buggsy

Reaction score
I guess most karts are set up with left foot braking because the steering column gets in the way of driving it like a normal car?

Barring that, if the steering were not an issue, it could be set up for right foot braking and acceleration, right?

Advantages/disadvantages?

Since the kart I'm making is for my kid mostly I wonder if learning right (single) foot might be an advantage, and I'm making it so I can make it work however I want. Or is using both feet more natural and easier to learn and start with?

Buggsy

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
100% no benefit!

there isn't any "learning" involved really.. you get out of your car and hop in a kart,
you step on the brake and after a while you get out and into your car to drive home and nothing feels awkward about the brake pedal being "somewhere else", not even on day one.

And kids are better at learning than adults.

Downsides:
if both are considered karts.. and kiddo wants some quick laps on the kart track..
then there is a moment of confusion
(not more than a moment and certainly no big deal for kids it takes as long as they need to put the two things in different mental drawers)

BUT the real problem is "room" a kart is usually pretty narrow, and if the pedals are close together (like say in an original mini cooper) chances are untrained personell could miss the correct pedal in case of a stressfull situation (emergency braking can end up accelerating the kart)
not because kid's intentionally using the wrong pedal, just because kid's foot didn't hitit correctly ;)

So allow for some space between the two pedals (~3" should do)

'sid

jandj

Reaction score
I'm a two footer myself, even in a car with auto trans.
I agree with Sid, there's just not enough room for both pedals on the same side.

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
I tend to drive one footed in a car with an automatic. However I find it easier and more natural to use both feet in a go kart.

Status
Not open for further replies.