Brake disk clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave1701

Good for 100,000 Miles
Reaction score
My kart has 15" tires and a 8" brake disk. I must have bottomed out on a root with the disk. The disk seems fine, but the whole disk moved over about an inch on the axle, screwing up my brake setup and dislodging the key stock. I really don't think I can make the disk smaller and I can't move it over closer to a wheel. Is a 8" disk too big for 15" wheels? Will I just have to deal with it and try to avoid the clearance issues?

anderkart

Reaction score
If you just drill some little dimples about 1/16" into your axle so your rotors set-screws tighten into the hole, they'll be able to get a much better grip to the axle and help keep this from happening again.

You should probably drill the same axle dimples for the set screws on your wheel bearings to ensure the whole axle can never slide side to side too.

Once you've done this easy mod its pretty much impossible for any of your set-screws to loose their grip to the axle.

redsox985

Reaction score
Could you relocate your caliper so that the rotor is just a few inches from a tire? This way any bumps would most likely be gone over by the tire and save your rotor.

Status
Not open for further replies.