Brake Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
OK, while I have the rear wheel off, I thought I might as well put on a new brake. Ordered a 4" band, but it seems way too tight. This is for a Manco 415, part number in the manual says 1036 (4" band). Anyone used a 4.5" with any success? First image is with the bottom of the band catching the bottom of the drum. Second is the measurement of the drum, third is just how it's set up.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4188.jpg
    IMG_4188.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4189.jpg
    IMG_4189.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4190.jpg
    IMG_4190.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 8

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Messages
866
Reaction score
17
Location
Weeki Wachee Fl.
Quick stupid question. Have you checked it without the cable hooked up? It's quite possible that there isn't enough slack in the cable, which is keeping the band from opening up enough. So try fitting it again, but without the cable being connected.
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
It's a rod, so no more slack to give. I moved it out to the last hole at the pedal and at the band. The old one worked fine, and the wheel assembly slipped right off. It's just too small. Still, the old one has some glazing and is about half way worn to the metal. The OEM part seems a tad longer.
 

Karttekk

Well-known member
Messages
2,024
Reaction score
732
Location
Elizabeth, PA
One other thing to check is this double rod & spring setup, make sure nothing is binding or hung up here. Your brake pedal is definitely returning all the way back?

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • rods and spring.jpg
    rods and spring.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 5

Karttekk

Well-known member
Messages
2,024
Reaction score
732
Location
Elizabeth, PA
Maybe ask the vendor where you purchased the band to measure a stock brake drum, it could be someone changed yours along the way with one that was too big in diameter. Stock OEM parts should match up and work. I just picked up a similar kart. The only way I could get the band to fit is disconnect the rod at the pedal, install the band on the drum then reconnect the rod to the pedal. Something to consider.

Thanks
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
So, I read somewhere a while back that these are not actually 4" drums, it's exactly as I measured 4-3/16. However this article also said that the bands were also rounded down, everyone just called them 4". Doesn't seem to be the case, at least for this band. I put the old band and the new band side by side, the old one is about 1/2" longer using the same radius bend. I found some 4-3/16 inch bands, I may order one. I was hoping someone had a similar issue before dropping another $20. I kinda doubt the previous owner did anything to it. The thing looks almost brand new. When I got it the clutch was half toasted and the carb gunked up with the tank full of very old gas. Tires still had nipples on them.
 

Karttekk

Well-known member
Messages
2,024
Reaction score
732
Location
Elizabeth, PA
See if you can exchange that band for another one, if it's wrong the vendor should honor an exchange. I think I have a new one from an older Carter I can measure and ship it to you no charge if you're interested.
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
Thanks, I certainly appreciate it. I already had another headed this way for a spare, from a different provider. I'm hoping it's the correct one. I wish people actually carried these in stock locally.
 

KartFab

Active member
Messages
3,381
Reaction score
60
Location
Dallas, TX
if you are still having issues with brake rod adjustment you can cut the end of the rod off at the pedal end of the rod, tap the end, and thread on a "brake rod adjusting clevis - fork type" for fine tuning...just my 2 cents.

Another option is if the brake rod doesnt fit, you just bend more it to make it shorter, or straighten it out to make it longer. :)
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
if you are still having issues with brake rod adjustment you can cut the end of the rod off at the pedal end of the rod, tap the end, and thread on a "brake rod adjusting clevis - fork type" for fine tuning...just my 2 cents.

Another option is if the brake rod doesnt fit, you just bend more it to make it shorter, or straighten it out to make it longer. :)

Thanks, pretty sure it's the band. Advertised as a replacement for a Manco 1036, also advertised as a 4". From what I can tell, the 1036 is 4 3/16.
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
The 4 3/16 just showed up, fits great, sort of. I just need to bend it into the correct shape for even wear, but it fits around the drum great and is the same length as the original.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top