brake band frame mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Seattle, WA USA
hi everyone, I've finally found the time to work on the go kart build project I picked up for my son. :)

After some searching on the forums here I've found a picture of a brake band setup that is similar to mine - see the brake band picture in this thread: http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5681

I sent the OP there a note about his setup but did not get a response. I'm hoping someone else here knows about that particular type of brake band setup. Mine is similar but looks like someone at some point cut away part of the mounting. See attached picture.

My question is this: can anyone tell me how I am supposed to mount the brake band in this situation? Just using some sort of pins pushed through the band loops and the band just sort of floats in that bracket? Does that make sense? Thanks for any help.

-Allen
 

Attachments

  • DriveWheelDrumAssy.JPG
    DriveWheelDrumAssy.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 17

oldbikerarlo

Old guy
Messages
449
Reaction score
2
Location
Marana, Az.
That is the way the band is mounted, you also need to space the drum out from the sprocket so it will be centered in the band. Mine was set up the same, it had a cable that ran through the forward pin and pulled the rear pin to tighten the brake. if that makes sense.
 

Allen

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Seattle, WA USA
Thank you for the confirmation of the set up. Any issue with spacing the drum out from the sprocket using one or more nuts between the two?
 

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Messages
2,538
Reaction score
48
Location
Houston, Texas
I believe typically you'll have a cable running through the first pin (occasionally a bolt with a hole drilled through) as the standard stationary portion, and the pulling over section of the band is held in using a brake cable clamp which sits in band itself. I understand this is not a fantastic explanation, I'll take a picture of one of these set-ups the next time we get one in if I can remember but honestly we only see these on Action Karts and less than 5 times a year.
 

Allen

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Seattle, WA USA
thanks guys this is very helpful. If you do get a chance to take a picture that'd be great. Now on to see if I can rig it to work. Progress pictures to come!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top