Bought the new ex27 robin engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdj89

New member
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
I finally bought the ex27 engine. Anybody now the top speed of it on my yerf dog 3203 with every thing stock including the 40 series TC? I'm guessing 45-50mph?
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
If all you are changing is the engine, top speed will remain the same (assuming both new and old engine are governed to spec 3600RPM, and gearing is appropriate). More detail is required.
 

mdj89

New member
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
If all you are changing is the engine, top speed will remain the same (assuming both new and old engine are governed to spec 3600RPM, and gearing is appropriate). More detail is required.

Is there a way I can make it faster without fooling with the engine? do want to mess with the warranty on the engine.
 

r97

Measure twice cut once
Messages
3,793
Reaction score
8
Location
Massachusetts, USA
Let us know your kart's rear tire OD (measured), the number of teeth on your axle sprocket, and the number of teeth on your jack-shaft sprocket. With that info we can get you the theoretical top speed of your kart. It's also worth mentioning that Subies are apparently factory set for 4000rpm, not 3600. Just so I don't have to look it up again later... the 40 series has a 1:1 high range and a 2.43:1 low range.

Adjusting the governor, or completely removing it can get you to speeds of about 5000-5500rpm, but either of those would likely be a violation of the warranty.
 

r97

Measure twice cut once
Messages
3,793
Reaction score
8
Location
Massachusetts, USA
Theoretical top speed is now 40mph, expect 35 to 40. If you want to go faster your should try changing your gear ratio.
 

r97

Measure twice cut once
Messages
3,793
Reaction score
8
Location
Massachusetts, USA
What kinds of speeds do you want (keep it reasonable)? What kind of terrain will you be riding on (street, grass fields, dirt trails, hills, sand, etc)? Estimate on weight of kart with passenger(s)?

souperman, the answer to your question depends on which sprocket were talking about, and if he wants to increase or decrease top speed.
 

mdj89

New member
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
What kinds of speeds do you want (keep it reasonable)? What kind of terrain will you be riding on (street, grass fields, dirt trails, hills, sand, etc)? Estimate on weight of kart with passenger(s)?

souperman, the answer to your question depends on which sprocket were talking about, and if he wants to increase or decrease top speed.

I want to increase my top speed to at least 43-46mph, I ride it on a grassy field hilly terrain, and I weight 182 pounds.
 

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Messages
2,538
Reaction score
48
Location
Houston, Texas
I want to increase my top speed to at least 43-46mph, I ride it on a grassy field hilly terrain, and I weight 182 pounds.

A small list of parts on your kart which are improper for this speed:

Tires (NON HIGHWAY SERVICE, not built for that speed)
Tie rods and Ends - Pressed not machined
Spindles - Improper caster and camber
Wheels - Pressed not machined
Brakes - Work great at 30mph, however at greater speed are not adequate.
Wheelbase - too narrow and center of gravity is too high

So basically over 40 your eyes will water and you will start to violently shake followed by any sharp turn ending up flipping the kart.
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
Good advice blaz. However if you still want a little more speed then you can change your axle sprocket to say, a 54t one. I have a practically new one if you wanted to buy it. This would increase top speed from 36mph to 40mph.
I would not reccomend speeds faster than this in a yard kart
 

mdj89

New member
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
Good advice blaz. However if you still want a little more speed then you can change your axle sprocket to say, a 54t one. I have a practically new one if you wanted to buy it. This would increase top speed from 36mph to 40mph.
I would not reccomend speeds faster than this in a yard kart

But I have a 60t axle sprocket. wont a smaller one make top speed slower?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top